Advise on Feature Layer Performance

Jump to solution
08-02-2016 01:28 AM
HenryKo3
New Contributor

I am using a FeatureLayer for a points layer with close to 10,000 points around the world, and finding the performance is slow. Are there any advise or best practice to speed things up?

This points layer is served using ArcGIS for Server 10.4. The points come from a file geodatabase. I need to use FeatureLayer because we need to allow users to change symbology dynamically on the JavaScript web viewer and use popups. At the globe level, it takes a few seconds to draw the points form the FeatureLayer, where it is almost instant if I use ArcGISDynamicServiceLayer (which is expected). In addition, the quality of the points are visibly more blurry than the one from ArcGISDynamicServiceLayer.

I have tried snapshot and on-demand modes for the FeatureLayer but they do not improve speed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Henry,

There is nothing in your list that can not be done with ArcGISDynamicServiceLayer  w/dynamic layer support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Henry,

You can use a ArcGISDynamicServiceLayer and still get popups and the allow users to change symbology dynamically (if you map service has dynamic layers enabled). ArcGISDynamicServiceLayer has a setLayerDrawingOptions that allows you to "Specify an array of LayerDrawingOptions that override the way the layers are drawn".

Class breaks renderer with dynamic layer | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.17

HenryKo3
New Contributor

Thanks Robert.

I found the following link for performance enhancement with Feature Layers which is quite helpful, but hasn't really improved my case:

Feature Layer Best Practices | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.17

I will give dynamic layers a go. Before I spend time on it, would you or anyone else know any limitations with dynamic layers? My basic requirements are:

• Allow users to change point symbology based on different attributes (e.g. types, status, etc).
  • Allow users to change point symbol colours and transparency.
  • Have a info popup that loop through the point attributes and display them.
  • Change point sizes based on zoom levels.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Henry,

There is nothing in your list that can not be done with ArcGISDynamicServiceLayer  w/dynamic layer support.

0 Kudos