Is it possible to develop an automated map/app which utilizes and compares multiple layer features to generate another map?

07-28-2016 06:15 PM
TimTung
New Contributor

Currently I have found some maps which contain data relating to solar exposure levels, flood prone areas, and land availiability (categorised by residential, industrial, government land, ...) and electrical networks. I am looking to see if its possible to compare and process all this data to find ideal locations for my needs.

Eg. I want to scan a large area (state) to find a smaller size of land where the solar exposure levels is high, is not flood prone, is not a residential area and is close to substations/transmission lines.

If this is possible, where is the best place to start? I am a beginner at ArcMap and have just started learning.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

'multiple criteria decision making' .... 'multiple criteria evaluation'  and similar terms are sometimes used to described what you want in the literature.  Pieces/stages in the process are easily performed if you have a firm model to work with and have a set of criteria to work with.  As in the case of all things in decision making not all decision are boolean or multi-classed but are less distinct.  The spatial analyst extension offers a powerful set of tools and some have been recently introduced that are useful ( ie Applying fuzzy logic to overlay rasters—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ).

My advice would be to examine what data you have available, what you are going to use as inputs and how you intend to determine the overlays (weighted, simple, and/or fuzzy) to help delineate candidate areas.

Examining similar case studies will help, but the hardest component to model is the human perspective.

Good luck, but this will also require a moderate to strong skill set and will not result in a one-button solution.

0 Kudos