How to get GPS offline in Collector

04-18-2016 10:10 PM
KirstenFrost_Andersen
New Contributor III

I have a USB-connected GPS receiver by GlobalSat connected to my Windows 10 laptop.  The software for that device shows that it's picking up satellites, however it's not very accurate when I try to view my location in Collector and when I take my computer offline (simulating lack of data signal in the field) it is miles away from where I'm actually at in the map.  Has anyone had any experience connecting an external GPS receiver and using it with Collector in Windows 10?  Any suggestions on what I could try to get the two to connect more accurately with each other?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EmilyGibson
New Contributor II

Hi Kirsten,

Right now we are developing a beta of Collector with support for high accuracy GNSS receivers. You should be able to achieve better accuracy with the beta. Would you like to test the beta? If so, please email Collector4ArcGIS@esri.com and I will sign you up.

Best,

Emily

KirstenFrost_Andersen
New Contributor III

Thank you, Emily!  I didn't realize that our externally connected GPS fell under that umbrella.  I sent in a request to test beta Collector with the higher accuracy for GNSS.

0 Kudos
BrianMathys
New Contributor III

Is there a list of any GPS receivers that will work with Windows 10 and Collector? I am interested in either a USB or Bluetooth device.

EmilyGibson
New Contributor II

Hi Brian,

We don't have a list of receivers that are compatible with Collector, but we do have criteria that your receiver should meet if you want to use it with Collector. The criteria are here: GPS receiver support—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Emily

EduardoAbreu-Freire
New Contributor III

Hi.

Regarding this discussion How to get GPS offline in Collector how is the current collector version regarding the support of high accuracy external gps receivers/GNSS?

In our case we have the globalsat BU-353-S4 (http://usglobalsat.com/store/download/688/bu353s4_ds.pdf) and adding that receiver inside Collector it says connection failed. We use Collector with Windows 10. Running GPS Direct client app (http://www.turboirc.com/gps7) as a way to tell W10 which door uses the location device, adding the receiver inside the Collector it says could not connect your receiver, your receiver's COM port is in use. Any help how to enable Collector to use it?

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eduardo,

After configuring in GPS Direct, you will need to configure the the Location Provider in Collector to point to "Integrated Receiver" and not your listed device. 

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos