Using other APIs in ArcGIS Online Web Applications

03-16-2016 08:39 AM
PaigeBrochu
New Contributor II

I am new to using APIs and I was wondering how might I got about using another API (not ArcGIS API) to feed data into an ArcGIS Online web application.

-Beginner API User

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Paige,

Are you talking about one of the online app templates, Web AppBuilder, or what ArcGIS Online web application specifically?

0 Kudos
PaigeBrochu
New Contributor II

I am looking to use one of the configurable app templates. For example starting with the Story Map Journal Configurable Application.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Paige,

OK the all the configurable app templates are developed with the JS API and thus you can interact with other APIs using the JS APIs esriRequest class to make a request to the third party API and get you results and then work with them in JS code to add them to the map.

0 Kudos
PaigeBrochu
New Contributor II

So I need JS on my computer to work with the API data and add it into the web map? I am a beginner with using JS and API.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Paige,

You would need to download the app template and then choose a JS IDE (I use Adobe Brackets) and then have some level of JS programming in order to modify the app js file(s) to add the custom code to use other APIs (probably not something a beginner in JS is going to be able to do).

0 Kudos