AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to programmatically create a .prj file for a CAD drawing

Question asked by MidnightYell2003 Champion on Nov 30, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 by mmaher-esristaff

I think there must be an ‘easy’ way to do this but I can’t seem to find a comprehensive set of answers for this question.

I am given CAD files from Bentley MicroStation (.dgn files) that are projected in a local coordinate system. I then open a blank ArcMap and create a new Projected Coordinate System (they usually are in a Lambert Conformal Conic system, US Survey Feet, have a Geographic Coordinate System of NAD83, and have a series of inputs for the parallels, easting/northing, scale factor, etc). After that, I load the .dgn file and see if it lines up where it is supposed to.

Some code snippets I have seen show how to get to the false easting/northing, 1st and 2nd standard parallel, and such, but I have not found all of the places to enter in all of the values.

I hope what I am asking makes sense. I am guessing you use the SpatialReference library within arcpy in Python (after I figure out how to program the inputs, I plan on making a form where the user types in certain values, etc). Please show me the direction I need to go for this!

Thanks in advance!

Outcomes