AnsweredAssumed Answered

Numpy: adding a field to a structured array fails in Python Toolbox, but not in IDE, or Python window

Question asked by nathanielroth on May 29, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 by nathanielroth@gmail.com

I've got a script that I'm trying to get into a python toolbox for use and distribution. It adds a new column to a dataset that containing the quantile that a data field falls into (number of quantiles is an input as is the field, and an option to invert the quantile numbers).

Basically:

It extracts the needed fields (OID, and the selected field) from a feature class using arcpy.da.FeatureClassToNumPyArray.

When I try to add a new field to the the resulting structured array using the code in a Python Toolbox, I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 133, in execute

TypeError: data type not understood

What's odd about this, is the same code differing (as far as I can see) only in externally providing the parameter values works fine in an IDE (Eclipse/PyDev using the same Python interpreter). So does cutting and pasting the lines of code into the Python window in ArcCatalog.

If I run the same section of code for creating the copy of the structured array using only the existing fields, it also works (at least that far) in the Python Toolbox.

I have tried multiple formulations of the dtype values with the same result from: <i4, int, integer

ArcGIS 10.2.2, with the default installation of python(2.7.5) and numpy (v1.7.1).

If anyone wants to take a look, my toolbox is available at: CenterForRegionalChange/QuantileCalc · GitHub

Thanks,

Nate

Outcomes