How do I add "suggest" functionality to geocoder in web app builder

03-30-2015 07:22 PM
BrandonKeinath1
Occasional Contributor III

I've created a geocoder using 10.3 arcmap that we are running in a web app builder application hosted on our 10.3 arcgis server.  I understand from a conversation with ESRI that the "suggest" functionality introduced at 10.3 server doesn't work within web app builder.  Is there any way to work around this?

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
11 Replies
StanMcShinsky

Brandon,

You can create that same geocoder in ArcGIS Pro. There is a check box to enable suggestions. I created my locators there and put then on a 10.2.1 server and it works just fine in Web AppBuilder.

-Stan

0 Kudos
BrandonKeinath1

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the reply.  I haven't worked with ArcGIS Pro yet.  Are there any hints you can pass along for creating geocoders in pro? 

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
StanMcShinsky

I am not currently using ArcGIS Pro very much. All I did was open a project and under the Analysis menu clicked the tools button. I searched for geocode and selected the Geocode Address tool and did it the same way as you would in ArcMap.

-Stan

BrandonKeinath1

Thanks Stan,

I tried as you suggested and had some data issues.  What kind of geocoder were you creating?  I'm trying to make a single field locator and it won't seem to take my data as any kind of reference data.  Thanks for your help!

Brandon

0 Kudos
StanMcShinsky

Sorry I think I may have said the wrong tool. I used the Create Address Locator Tool. Try that one.

-Stan

0 Kudos
BrandonKeinath1

No worries.  I didn't catch that in your previous reply but I had used the Create Address Locator tool when I had my data issue.  What kind of locator were you creating?

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
StanMcShinsky

I used US address - Single House Subaddress (for address searches) and General - Single Field (for feature searches). I then created a composite to combine them into one.

-Stan

0 Kudos
BrandonKeinath1

Hi Stan,

Sorry for the late reply.  I was working through an esri incident related to my ArcGIS pro create locators.  I was finally able to publish one with suggest functionality.  But I still don't get the suggest functionality when I'm in a web app builder application.  I'm able to see suggestions when I look at the REST but not in the application.  Can you walk me through your process again?

Thanks for your help,

Brandon

0 Kudos
StanMcShinsky

Maybe it is because I type slow and it has mercy on me haha.

I created my locators in ArcGIS Pro and also made a composite. I had an issue creating a map service with my composite locator. This post really helped me out Composite Address Locator GeoService​I then just added it as one of my AGOL locators in my organization. The locator shows up in the widget and I can remove any others that are there. Then in the application I get a suggestion as i type. I do find that it tends to be kinda picky. For example I have one of my locators in the composite to search on owner name. If the name in the data is "Smith, John" then I need to start typing as it is in the data even adding the comma.

Hope this help a little

-Stan

0 Kudos