Accessing Secure Feature Services

Jump to solution
12-24-2014 09:10 AM
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to add secured feature services to ArcGIS for Autocad.  I can add unsecured ones just fine but when I secure them they are no longer visible to add to autocad.

ArcGIS Server 10.2.2

ArcGIS for AutoCad 2015.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS for AutoCAD 350 should allow you to access your secure services on ArcGIS Server 10.2.2.

You may need to remove the connection in ArcGIS for AutoCAD and recreate it if you've added secure services after saving your connection in ArcGIS for AutoCAD.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS for AutoCAD 350 should allow you to access your secure services on ArcGIS Server 10.2.2.

You may need to remove the connection in ArcGIS for AutoCAD and recreate it if you've added secure services after saving your connection in ArcGIS for AutoCAD.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

My feature service would only be able to be added if it was unsecure.  I was just using the 30 day free trial version of AutoCad to test out this feature in case we wanted to use it in the future.  Could this have caused an issue?  It is suppose to be a complete version of AutoCad 2015.

0 Kudos
danbecker

I just tested the latest version of ArcGIS for AutoCAD plugin with AutoCad Civil 3d 2015. Secured services from 10.3 ArcGIS Server are not accessible using the plugin.

When adding the ArcGIS Server connection and providing credentials in AutoCAD you get an "Error 405 Method not available" or similar, I can't remember the exact text. I started Fiddler and captured the token request when attempting to sign into Server from Autocad and the plugin is sending a http GET request. This is not compatible with ArcGIS Server 10.3, according to this doc: Acquiring ArcGIS tokens—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server.‌ At the top of that doc, it says "HTTP POST token requests must have username/pw passed in the body of the request, and HTTP GET requests are not supported."

So, it looks like 1 of 3 things has to happen before the latest ArcGIS for AutoCAD plugin will work with Server 10.3 token secured services.

1. the ability to enable http GET requests on Server 10.3. I only found documentation to disable http GET, which doesn't really make sense if it is disabled by default, according to the above doc? Disabling token acquisition through HTTP GET requests—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server.  I tried setting "allowHttpGet": "true" in ArcGIS Server admin, but it didn't work.

2. The plugin needs updating so it sends a token request via http POST

3. Write a custom proxy to intercept the plugin's GET request, obtain a token from the server using a POST request, and relaying everything back to the plugin. Likely more trouble then it's worth.

This is the 2nd annoying authentication issue in 10.3 I've found.

ESRI, can you please update us?

thanks.

0 Kudos
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

There is a known issue with ArcGIS for AutoCAD and 10.3 secure servers.

-Don

0 Kudos
JohnShain
New Contributor

Don,

Is there a timeline on when a patch, workaround or new release will be available for accessing secured services at 10.3.  All of our organizations feature services are currently secured.

Thanks,

John

DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

John,

The hope is with the next release of ArcGIS for AutoCAD in the spring… April/May is my best guess.

Contact me directly if you’d consider being a beta site before then.

-Don

PaulBatley
New Contributor III

Don,

I have a workaround for you.. You can re-enable the HttpGet.

There is a file aptly named tokens.properties under C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat\webapps\arcgis#tokens\WEB-INF\classes

With the following parameter:

1. tokens.validatepostquery.params=true

change it to:

1. tokens.validatepostquery.params=false

If you've already followed the steps here - Enabling token acquisition through HTTP requests—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server
Follow my instructions and then restart the ArcGIS Server services and all should be right again.

Kind regards..

Paul

0 Kudos
LevinConway
New Contributor III

Has this issue been resolved in the latest release of build 350 or are we still unable to connect to secured (https) feature services at 10.3.1?

0 Kudos
PaulBatley
New Contributor III

I have a workaround for you.. You can re-enable the HttpGet.

There is a file aptly named tokens.properties under C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat\webapps\arcgis#tokens\WEB-INF\classes

With the following parameter:

1. tokens.validatepostquery.params=true

change it to:

1. tokens.validatepostquery.params=false

If you've already followed the steps here - Enabling token acquisition through HTTP requests—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server
Follow my instructions and then restart the ArcGIS Server services and all should be right again.

Kind regards..

Paul

0 Kudos