How do you enable the "Supports Pagination" on a layer at 10.3?

Jump to solution
12-15-2014 11:23 AM
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III

I upgraded a service from 10.2.2 and can't find a way to get pagination working. I find documentation about using resultOffset and resultRecordCount if "Supports Pagination" is true, but nothing about how to set it to true.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III

In case others are curious, Esri Support responded that the underlying database determines whether pagination is supported. There isn't an advanced configuration setting that can be "enabled" to allow pagination. FileGDB is not supported at 10.3 but could be supported at a later release. Certain versions of enterprise geodatabases support pagination at 10.3.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III

In case others are curious, Esri Support responded that the underlying database determines whether pagination is supported. There isn't an advanced configuration setting that can be "enabled" to allow pagination. FileGDB is not supported at 10.3 but could be supported at a later release. Certain versions of enterprise geodatabases support pagination at 10.3.

0 Kudos
HarshalGharat
New Contributor III

Michael,

I have my enterprise geodatabase based on SQL Server 2008. I have published my map services based on this backend database and I am not able to get pagination property true.

May I know what backend database will get me pagination to be true?

0 Kudos
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III

From what I was told by Esri support, SQL Server 2012 supports pagination, but 2008 does not. I don't know the technical reason behind the difference in support for the two versions.

HarshalGharat
New Contributor III

Thanks Michael for your quick response!

0 Kudos
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III

Just as an update, I was able to use pagination with a fGDB at 10.3.1.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

That is good news Michael!

0 Kudos
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III

As an update to my update, I am seeing a slight issue with using pagination at 10.3.1. The original test I ran was using outFields=*, which works. As soon as I specified which fields I wanted to get back, the pagination stopped working. I did find that if I added in the ObjectID field as one of the outFields that it started working again so for now, as far as I can tell, if you want to limit which fields are returned when using resultOffset and resultRecordCount parameters for pagination, make sure to add the ObjectID field. I have a support ticket in to Esri about this.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

good to know, thanks

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Is the datasource a FileGDB when you ran into this issue i.e. pagination fails unless you add ObjectID field?
if so, it happens due to a known bug with FileGDB.

In general pagination in ArcGIS Server needs Order By field(s), if you don't specify anything in Order By, it uses ObjectId fields as a default field to sort records (pls see the 2nd bullet in "What's new in 10.3" section in ArcGIS REST API help topic).

When you specify OutFields (without ObjectID field in there) but nothing in Order By, the sql that goes to the database looks something like 'SELECT F1, F2, F3 FROM TABLE1 ORDER BY ObjectID .... ".

FileGDB does not like it when fields in Order By is not part of the SELECT list.