Dealing with XML DEM in ArcGIS

12-10-2014 05:12 PM
KennethDudley
New Contributor II

I have a file from a Japanese agency which stores DEM (and also polygon/point etc...) information in pure XML format. I am able to open the files in a Japanese program (which I barely understand) and can confirm that the data is there and working in some way. If anyone is familiar with this format or knows a method by which I might convert it to something more readily useful in Arc I would really appreciate some help. I've attached a sample of one of the files I have. It is a 10m LiDAR of part of Okinawa island.

For reference this is the program which I've been able to use to open this file:

基盤地図情報ダウンロードサービス

This is behind a sign-in wall at the bottom of the page (Google translates it as "Display software")

Data is from this site:

基盤地図情報ダウンロードサービス

They state the file format should be:

JPGIS2014 (GML format)

Thank you,

Ken

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LaurentPondevie
New Contributor III

Ken did you get a solution for this?

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I don't know the answer for this outright, but its possible this may work:

Importing feature datasets, classes, and tables from an XML workspace document—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS ... 

Every now and then someone will throw an XML document my way, which it is easy to assume is just metadata.  Its always a surprise then when the sender says its the data too.  Give this extraction process a try, it might work.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos