JavaScript API website and Chrome memory issue

Jump to solution
11-13-2014 08:12 AM
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Anybody having issues with large amounts of memory being used when looking at the ArcGIS API for JavaScript website using a Chrome browser?  If I camp on that website, Chrome starts just using up lots of my systems memory.  It takes a while though.  This morning when I came in, it had allocated 2.8Gb of memory.  As soon as I dismiss the tab, the memory is reallocated.  Very weird...  The same happens on the ArcGIS API for Flex too.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tom,

I can confirm the same (no longer having memory issues).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tom,

Is it unique to your web app that you developed? I sounds like you have some code that is continually creating a new object (like in a loop or timeout) and never destroying it or setting it to null.

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Robert,

Thanks for the speedy response.  This is not an app that I developed.  It is just browsing to the ArcGIS API for JavaScript website.  Other browsers don't gobble up memory, but Chrome does. 

Just navigate to: ArcGIS API for JavaScript using Chrome and open up the Task Manager.  It takes a couple of hours, but it will start building up a large use of memory. 

I use the API reference page a lot so I generally just camp on this website all day.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Tom

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tom,

OK. Firefox is my primary browser and the one I leave the resources pages open with for multiple days. I will test this with Chrome and see if I can duplicate your findings.

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

I have had a tab open to the JavaScript API web site most of the day and it has over a gigabyte of memory consumed.

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Robert,

Just checking back with you.  Were you able to duplicate this problem?

Thanks very much!

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tom,

Yes. I can have Chrome open to the JS API Resource page and just watch the memory climb in Task Manager every couple of seconds.

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you sir!  I am not exactly sure who to report this problem to.  I was hoping that someone from ESRI would see this post and investigate.  I have inadvertently left my Chrome browser open to this page overnight and had my system run out of memory.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tom,

Let me tag a couple of JS API people

Kelly Hutchins

Jonathan Uihlein

TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks very much Robert!