How to select points in multiple buffers?

Jump to solution
11-12-2014 11:14 AM
Chris_Kell
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I'm having one of those moments where you just can't remember how to do something, you know its easy, and Googling has't provided an answer. 

I have two separate buffers around two distinct schools.  I have student represented as pointsl.  How can I select those students who are contained in both buffers?

Thanks

-Chris

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SpencerV
New Contributor III

Hi Chris,

I believe you can still use the "Select by Location Tool". Run the first selection that you described, selecting all students in the blue circle, then prepare to run a second select by location query. This time you will change the "Selection method". Instead using "select features from" use "select from currently selected features in"  and run the query as you normally would with the green circle. This should give you the points that are in both circles.

Good luck!

sel_loc.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ArnoldKuilman
Occasional Contributor

You need to use the "Select By Location" tool. See example screenshot below.

I made a selection of offshore installations by two ring buffers around two installations, as an example:

2014-11-13 10_22_35-Offshore_Infrastructure.mxd - ArcMap.png

0 Kudos
Chris_Kell
New Contributor III

Arnold,

Thanks for you answer.  My situation is a little different...

The blue and green buffers are drawn around two separate schools.  They are also stored as two separate feature classes.  Students are represented as either purple circles or gold squares. How can I select just those students that are in the overlap of the two buffers?

How can I use select by location to first select students in the blue buffer, then using the current selection the students in the green buffer which would produce just those students in both buffer?  Or is another tool more suitable?

Thanks ChrisCapture.GIF

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

select the first buffer, then use select by location to select all the students within that buffer

then select the second buffer and select by location again but using select from set as the option (not new selection)

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There are several ways you could do this.  Probably the easiest is to Intersect (Geoprocessing tool) the two buffers to produce a feature class that only contains the overlap area.  Then run a Select by Location for the students using the newly-derived overlap feature class.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
SpencerV
New Contributor III

Hi Chris,

I believe you can still use the "Select by Location Tool". Run the first selection that you described, selecting all students in the blue circle, then prepare to run a second select by location query. This time you will change the "Selection method". Instead using "select features from" use "select from currently selected features in"  and run the query as you normally would with the green circle. This should give you the points that are in both circles.

Good luck!

sel_loc.png

0 Kudos
Chris_Kell
New Contributor III

Thanks Spencer!

Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees!

-Chris

0 Kudos