We have a fairly large ArcGIS Server (AGS) footprint. We started funneling all traffic through a single location (IIS web-server) for consistency and maintenance and currently have 11 web-adaptors successfully hosted on a single IIS server. We are having troubles adding a 12th web-adaptor on that same server. Basically, we do the following when we have a new site that needs to be established:
- Install AGS on a new node and build a 'site'
- depending on the site the config-store is either local (if single node)
- or on a file-server (multi-node)
- Normally running web-tier Authentication
- Install 2 'consumption' web-adaptors on our 'public' web-server with admin functions disabled
- Web-adaptor 1 = HTTP and HTTPS enabled. Anonymous access only
- Web-Adaptor 2 = HTTPS ONLY with integrated windows auth (IWA) using NTLM and/or Kerberos
- Install a 3rd 'admin' web-adaptor on a 'private' web-server that our admins/publishers use to configure or publish to the site
This allows us to host a single point of entry for all of our arcgis server solutions and present with different 'instance names'. Example:
- www.example.com resolves to our IIS 'consumption' web-server
- https://privateserver.domain resolves to our IIS 'admin' web-server
- http(s)://www.example.com/site1/rest/services = site1 anonymous access
- https://www.example.com/site1auth/rest/services = site1 authenticated access (IWA with kerberos/ntlm)
- https://privateserver.domain/site1admin/rest/services = site1 authenticated access (IWA with kerberos/ntlm) for administrative purposes. Not accessible to our 'public' users
- http(s)://www.example.com/site12/rest/services = site2 anonymous access
- https://www.example.com/site2auth/rest/services = site2 authenticated access (IWA with kerberos/ntlm)
- https://privateserver.domain/site2admin/rest/services = site2 authenticated access (IWA with kerberos/ntlm) for administrative purposes. Not accessible to our 'public' users
We seem to have run into a limit on the number of web-adaptors that can be hosted on the www.example.com web-server. We have the web-adaptor product installed 11 times. When we launch the install executable for the 12th time it asks us to repair or modify our previous installation.
So it seems there is a limit to 11 web-adaptors that can be hosted on a single IIS web-server. Has anyone ran into this same or similar issue? Our only way around this seems to be to establish a load balancing mechanisim in front of our IIS web-server to send the first 11 web-adaptors to 1 IIS host and the other web-adaptors to another IIS host based on some fancy routing (or URL Re-write) rules.
Currently running ArcGIS Server 10.2.1 and 10.2.2 in this environment. Thanks for any info!