Using group layers in a published service

09-26-2014 09:53 AM
CoyPotts1
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way to maintain group layers when publishing a service to your online organization?  In our MXD's, we like to add group layers to query out specific data in each grouping, however, we have been unable to find a way to maintain this look/feel whenever the service is published.

Any information or tips/tricks are welcomed and appreciated. 

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The group layers are honored when publishing a map. You can check at the REST endpoint or just create a web map from it an you'll see.

0 Kudos
CoyPotts1

I haven't done it in a few months, but before I remember publishing a service, and when I look at it in the map through ArcGIS Online, the group layers were not maintained.

For instance, if I had multiple copies of the same feature class contained within multiple group layers, they will all show up together within the ArcGIS Online view.  So if I have 5 copies of a feature class (titled "FeatureClass") within 5 separate group layers, I would see the example shown below:

FeatureClass

FeatureClass

FeatureClass

FeatureClass

FeatureClass

And so on with the other feature classes in the map.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Coy Potts ,

Sorry for the delay, but as far as I know the grouplayers are honored when sharing an mxd as a service. If you look at this REST end point: Military (MapServer)  you will see:

GroupLayersREST.png

If you enter the REST end point (0) or (1) you will see that both are of type group layer:

GroupLayersREST2.png

If you add such a REST end point to a Web Map you can see that the group layers are honored:

BillDaigle

The OP was referring to an ArcGIS online organization account.  Maintaining group layers is not possible on ArcGIS online...I assume because services get published as feature services, not map services.  It is possible on ArcGIS server, however. 

Mark_Hotz
Occasional Contributor II

Coy:

The only way I have been able to maintain grouped layers in ArcGIS Online is through the Zip file.  Most people will upload single Shapefiles to ArcGIS Online in a Zip file and then try to group them after they are installed.  This cannot be done.  However, if you upload multiple Shapefiles in one Zip file the group is maintained in ArcGIS Online, and its title is based on the name you gave to the Zip file (but this can also be edited later).  As far as I can tell, the only caveat here is that the grouped layers are only visible in the "Contents" tab, not the "Legend tab"...but this might not be so bad because you really want users to use the Contents tab anyway.  So 4 Shape files in single a Zip file named "Fairview Noise Assessment-July2015", will look like this in "Contents" in ArcGIS Online:

Grouped_Layers.png

Does this help answer your question?

CoyPotts1

Yes, that is very helpful.  Thank you much!

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Coy,

There is currently an idea on our Ideas Site to allow for group layers with hosted services. Please take a look at it here and promote it if you'd like: http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000005HKMIA2

0 Kudos