No one except the site admin can log into ArcServer

08-26-2015 11:47 AM
DonaldHefferon
New Contributor

I've created a user store, and assigned roles and passwords to a wide variety of users. However, when anyone except the site admin account tries to log in, they immediately get rejected. If an admin logs in, Server Manager hangs on the "Please Wait" screen. If anyone else tries, they immediately get rejected- publishers get no message, users get one that says "you are not a publisher." Has anyone experienced this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

What version are you using?  I think 10.1 (?? can't remember the version)  had a bug that would have Manager hang, but you could access with user admin accounts if you used the http://<machinename>/arcgis/manager   

If that isn't the problem, and you are using a user store like active directory, it could be the user account that you use to grant the access to AD has expired.  Log in with the site admin and check that out.  Taht is why they recommend using an account that the password doesn't expire.

0 Kudos
DonaldHefferon
New Contributor

Hi Rebecca. I am using 10.1, however, your fix did not work. Also, I checked and the AD account is set to never expire.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sorry, that's all I can remember about that issue.  Once I upgraded that issue went away for us (maybe there is a patch??)

edit: btw, I searched thru all my old tech support tickets and couldn't find this incident.  sorry.

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Which method did you use for your users and roles?

Configuring ArcGIS Server security—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

1. Users and roles from ArcGIS Server's built-in store
  2. Users and roles from an existing enterprise system
  3. Users from an existing enterprise system and roles from ArcGIS Server's built-in store

We use method 3 above with Active Directory and the account we used to connect to AD had its password expire, preventing it from looking up users and not allowing anyone but the local user accounts (like site admin) from logging in to the ArcGIS Server Administrator. The solution was to change the security on the AD account so that the password never expires.

0 Kudos
DonaldHefferon
New Contributor

Hello Blake, I checked and the AD account is set to never expire.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Adding to above queries, how are you trying to connect to ArcGIS Server (From Browser/ ArcCatalog)? Snapshots would be helpful.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DonaldHefferon
New Contributor

I am connecting from browser. I can add some screenshots, but there is really nothing to see I haven't already described.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try to log into ArcGIS Server as

<UserName>@<DomainName>

Think Location
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

.....or  <domainname>\<username>  or just <username>