AnsweredAssumed Answered

editing shape file

Question asked by jwalkerack on Sep 17, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 by jimcousins

Hi everyone

i was wondering if anyone has som ideas about my question below. What i have is a series of shapefile which which are snapped to one another. The represent the different areas of a region on a maps.   As seen in the first picture below.

Picture_Number_1.jpg

There are a series of control points which define the boundary bewteen the two shapes. The act as validation points , so points which are red , should be in the peach colour shape and one points which are blue should be in the blue shape. As seen below.

Picture_Number_2.jpg

So in some cases the red points are inside the blue shape and there are blue points inside the peachy shape. As a QC measure i want to edit the shapes so the red and blue points are in the correct point. So i get an end product like something below

Picture_Number_3.jpg

i have started to carry this out . The process i have been doing this by going into the shape file and manually , editing the shape and then going into the shape it previsously had a boundary with and then cutting out the shape and making sure the shapes snap to one another using the trace feature . i was wondering if there is an automated way of doing this . Ideally i like too be able to edit the shape and relationships and snapping is updated , anyone ideas , on making this more automatically i ahve a lot of control point which mioght need to be, thanks a lot

Outcomes