After Upgrading to 10.2, unable to start services

08-08-2013 04:36 AM
DominikSchlarmann
Occasional Contributor
Hello,
I've recently upgraded my ArcGIS 10.1 Server (which worked without problems) to 10.2. After solving the installation error 1935 ( http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/37477) the installation of 10.2 was successful. Logging in to ArcGIs Server Manager -> No problem.
But I can't start my existing services. The status of all services is "Shutting dows" (sorry...I don't know the exact term, because I use a German version).
By clicking on the stop button, I can stop the service.
By clicking on the play button, there is just the progress bar for a long time and then the error message: Server machine '<<<servername>>>' is currently being configured by another administrative operation. Please try again later.'

The protocol gives me the following messages. Here are just the relevant ones. Seems like, the server doesn't find the services + a wrong configuration.

Message: Failed to stop one or more services: [DGK5_MS.MapServer]. Could not undeploy services from one or more machines. 'Server machine '<<<servername>>>' is currently being configured by another administrative operation. Please try again later.'. Source: Admin  Code: 6572

Message: Failed to start the server machine '<<<servername>>>'. Could not start application server within stipulated time. Source: Admin Code: 6550

Message:    Service 'DGK5_MS.MapServer' not found. Check if the service exists and is started. Source: Soap Code:9503

Would be nice, to get some suggestions.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
14 Replies
StephanieSnider
Occasional Contributor III
The exact thing happened to me.  My map services were working fine in 10.1.  After upgrading to 10.2, I cannot start or publish map services.  The only service that is working is the Geometry service.  All others will not start.  I get the following error messages:

"Failed to get the configuration of the server machine xxxx"
"Connection to callback URL 'https://xxxxxx:6443/arcgis/services' failed."

We are using a custom port, not 6443.  Admin, Manager and Rest services all work on the custom port.  After upgrading to 10.2, ArcGIS Server set itself back to the standard port for secure service at 6443.  I updated the server.xml file in Tomcat to update the port.  This worked before in 10.1, and it seems to work in 10.2 with the Manager.  However, once I stopped the map services, I couldn't get them to stat again.  The error message looks like the Callback URL is set wrong.  I'm thinking there must be some configuration file that needs to be updated to our custom port.  Its kinda crappy that the 10.2 update reset our custom port to ArcGIS Server's standard secure port.

I'm on Windows Server 2008 RS Standard.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Dstauning

One of the first things to try would be to restart the ArcGIS Server service from the local services console (Administrative tools > Services). You might also try just restarting the machine.
0 Kudos
StephanieSnider
Occasional Contributor III
I restarted the ArcGIS Server service in the console, and the errors still persist.  I restarted the server, but still get the same errors.  I started an ESRI support ticket.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: stsnider

ESRI Support says that they only support port 6080 or 6443 for the GIS application server component of ArcGIS Server.  If you modify these ports, you are using an unsupported configuration.  The Server/Desktop software is hard coded to look for these ports so if anything else is used you will eventually run into unexpected behavior.  They supported custom ports in Server 10.0, but stoped support at release 10.1.   Yikes! 

Custom ports are supported with the web adaptor in IIS.  Looks like we need to find a compromise between our IT security folks and ESRI.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Schlomm

Thanks for your response and your feedback.
I've restarted the service serveral times as well as the computer, but I haven't got any luck....
For now, I use these circumstances to update my server to Windows Server 2012. I will make a new installation from scratch for ArcGIS Server 10.2 so everything should work - hopefully.

Cheers,
schlomm
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Dominik, just in case you don't know, you can display the ArcGIS Server Manage in another language just by adjusting the web browser language settings. See here how to do this:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/install-guides/arcgis-server/10.2/index.html#//01nm0000001p00000...

Then you could see what is the error in English and it will be easier to find it on the Internet and you could save time when troubleshooting an issue with a support analyst.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Schlomm

Hi Alexey,
Thanks for this tip 🙂 You're right...it definitely easier to search for some problems having the exact English terms.

Cheers,
Dominik
0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II
For what it's worth...
I upgraded from 10.1 SP1 to 10.2 and had issues with my services and web apps. The services seemed to time out and crash. I used ESRI Chat with an analyst and learned that my install looked very different than his. Specifically, I was missing a few of the new GP services under the utilities.

My solution was to uninstall 10.2 and then reinstall it. I had to rebuild the site but after pointing my service folders to the old location everything came back. HOWEVER, I will say that it seems 10.2 cached services (tiled services) display slower than 10.1. And I did install the patch already.

Good luck to your upgrades. Anyone else with slow caches please chime in...ESRI needs to know if it's a problem.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kyle969

I had the same issue.

I was able to resolve the issue by rebuilding the sd file with Desktop 10.2. I tried re-adding the service with the existing Sd file, but it didn't work.
0 Kudos