AnsweredAssumed Answered

Obtain summary statistics for selected cases in attribute table

Question asked by KristinS on Aug 21, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 by KristinS

Hi Everyone,

I am a new user of ArcMap and so this question might be quite simple to answer for those of you with a lot of experieince.

I have a map with three layers.One of the layers is the result of a geocoding of addresses that I did, and another layer is municipality boundaries. I would like to obtain a summary of one of the variables included in the atrribute table for my geocoding results, but I only want a summary of some of the adddress points, not for all of the ones in the table. More specifically, if the points are located within the boundaries of a certain municipality I only want to sum those cases and not all of the cases in the table.

So far I have used the selection menu to select the municipality boundary of interest and the related geocoded addresses within it. When I open my geocoded address attribute table then those cases are higlighted and the rest of the cases are not as I had hoped. I then click on the option at the bottom of the page to show only slected cases. However, when I click on summary statistics for my variable of interest it provides summary stats for allof the cases in the table, not just the selected/highlighted ones. Is there a way to obtain the summary stats (in actuallity all I am really intersted in is the sum) of just the selected cases (ie., just those geocoded addresses located within the boundaries of the specific boundary I have chosen) ?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Outcomes