Select to view content in your preferred language

T3G2017 AGO Topic: Management

04-21-2017 11:21 PM
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

In T3G2017, as part of homework AFTER Day 1 (April22) and BEFORE Day2 (by Thu April27), we want participants to look at information on GeoNet and post a question, offer an answer, or give an observation about working in ArcGIS Online Organization accounts. The four themes from which to choose and contribute at least one entry are

• Technical: start up, generating logins, setting roles and privileges
  • Content/sharing: Getting users generating and sharing content
  • Collaboration: Creating, using, and managing groups effectively
  • Management: Organization operations, especially maintenance at end of marking period, semester, or year.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MANAGEMENT ASPECTS. (REPLY BELOW)

25 Replies
MaribelVelez-Ramos
New Contributor

How many administrators can we have at Akins High School Arcgis Online? Multiple teachers use the organization and currently only two have administrative access. 

0 Kudos
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

An Org can have any number of administrators ... which is "good news and other" ... a school Org should have a minimum of two admins, no matter what (because sometimes someone will be unavailable. Beyond that it's a matter of how many people you want to have ULTIMATE POWER. ;>

0 Kudos
RogerFelch
New Contributor

Management of our school account is a bit of a challenge.  We have 2 administrators, but managing, and setting up, and developing our home page has fallen to me since I am the one who pushed to request the account (actually pre-ConnectEd time).  Geojobe has helped, but since my GIS related class only lasts 9 weeks and is 1/12 of my teaching load that presents a bit of an issue in time commitment.  I do try to keep up with cleaning up the miscellaneous files and assignments but I seem to be perpetually behind.  Any recommendation would be welcome!  Thanks in advance, rnf.

0 Kudos
FranHarvey2
New Contributor III

Management, maintenance at the end of a workshop or marking period.  Not too sure how to best stash students work and start over.  New groups?  I can see where that could be unmanageable. 

0 Kudos
KrissyLukens
New Contributor III

I don't really have a specific question on this topic but it's been helpful to read other's questions particularly the difference in questions between managing orgs for younger aged students vs. older students.

My ideal for our org would be to have accounts created and managed with a tie in via LDAP. Not even sure if that's possible - haven't explored it.

I'm also empathetic to the discussion posts re: management of an org account falling to the one individual in the org most invested vs. it being an intentional part of their role. So, anything that can be done to make the management as easy as possible is important. Sometimes I wonder if there is a "simpler" version of an org for K-12 vs. an org for industry.

We recently lost our team member that managed our org so I will assume this role for the time being - wearing another hat - and I'm sure will have more questions the more I dig into it.

0 Kudos
DellaRobertson
Occasional Contributor II

I was blocked from "Creating an Idea" and posting it to either T3G Alums or ArcGIS Online.  I was able to post to T3G 2017. I know that site will dissolve soon.

This space was recommended.  So here I am with an idea.

IDEA:  Co-Presenting at a CSTA Conference

I renewed my NSTA/CSTA membership today.

The idea emerged of presenting the power of learning and teaching with ArcGIS Online.  I would like to partner with someone on this.

Any thoughts on this?

0 Kudos