T3G2017 AGO Topic: Collaboration

04-21-2017 11:19 PM
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

In T3G2017, as part of homework AFTER Day 1 (April22) and BEFORE Day2 (by Thu April27), we want participants to look at information on GeoNet and post a question, offer an answer, or give an observation about working in ArcGIS Online Organization accounts. The four themes from which to choose and contribute at least one entry are

• Technical: start up, generating logins, setting roles and privileges
  • Content/sharing: Getting users generating and sharing content
  • Collaboration: Creating, using, and managing groups effectively
  • Management: Organization operations, especially maintenance at end of marking period, semester, or year.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT COLLABORATION ASPECTS. (REPLY BELOW)

31 Replies
KatieRemine
New Contributor

If my ArcGIS Org is a nonprofit (not education) org and we can only have 2 "named users" can we still invite other users (view only)?? (Is there a difference between "named users" and invited member users?

TamaNunnelley
New Contributor II

This is what we have done with our state geography alliance org. We only have 2 named users but we have created other accounts inside the org. We have done this for students in a dual enrollment class as well as for students who are currently creating projects for our state map contest. At the end of the contest, we can delete the accounts and create them again as needed. 

0 Kudos
__invited__richardbschultz720
New Contributor II

Is there a limit to how many groups can be created in any one organization?

TamaNunnelley
New Contributor II

That's a great question, Rich. I would like to know that as well.

0 Kudos
InaAhern
New Contributor III

Hi Rich-

I've been watching and see that no one has answered your question.  I don't have a real answer either, but I haven't seen anything in the documentation that there is a limit and I can tell you that we have over 80 groups in our NHEdGIS org without any issues.

Ina

0 Kudos
MelissaGarner1
New Contributor

Anyone have best practices about organizing a state roll out? We don't have many people in so far and would love for this to be organized efficiently from the start.

RebeccaLilja1
New Contributor II

NH has done a state roll out.  We have a NHEDGIS (NH Edicational GIS Partnership - www.nhedgis.org) org account for training and to get teachers set up and practicing (similar to the T3G org).  We also use the State org to host state specific lessons and state content that teachers can grab and use.  All of our T3G trained teachers/facilitators are administrators in the org and can use it for training they host.

Once teachers go through a GIS 101 type training, they are encouraged to apply for their own school account.  We also have a one day "Set up your org" training to help them get their school org set up how then want it. Ina Ahern Do you have more to share, since you set up our NH Org?

InaAhern
New Contributor III

I think you hit the highlights.  Any teacher who attends a one day or longer training gets a user account (publisher level) in the NHEdGIS organization.  They can then use these as they take further trainings or to practice on their own.  We also have generic accounts that can be used for shorter trainings such as those offered at teacher association meetings.  

As far as assisting teachers with setting up their own organizations, we encourage them to take the one day training.  If they can't, or if they did at some time in the past and are setting up a new organization at a different school, I volunteer to be on the phone with them when they set it up to help them make decisions.  We also strongly encourage them to add either me or another one of our NHEdGIS key people as an administrator in their organization so we can help troubleshoot or regain access to the organization if the people who originally set it up leave the school.  

Although this relates more to helping schools set up their own organizations then to the statewide organization, one of the things that is a little strange is that you have to create the first administrator account before you create the organization.  (Warn them not to join their personal account or their other organization accounts to the new organization.)  Since the standard naming conventions appends the organization short name following an underscore for each user, it makes sense that the first administrator account also follows that pattern, yet it's not until the next step that you find out whether the short name you've selected is available.  rlilja figured out the solution to that problem.  In a tab of a web browser type:  http://shortname.maps.arcgis.com where "short name" is replaced with your desired short name.  If this ends up taking you to either the homepage of an organization, or a sign in page, you know the desired short name is not available and you can try again.  Once you've found an appropriate and available short name you can then create the administrator account following the same standard pattern as ArcGIS Online will use for the other accounts in the org.

AlLewandowski1
Occasional Contributor III

This is very interesting, Rebecca. I'm in Michigan where we have a state licence but not a state AGOO. I am currently working on the GRACE project, which is an NSF project that provides both professional development in GIS for teachers as well as a paid intern program for high school students. We have a project AGOO. We also have a modular online GIS professional development course on the Michigan Virtual University website.

Is it possible for me to view your state AGOO?

You can visit the GRACE project AGOO at:

http://nsfgrace.maps.arcgis.com/home/organization.html 

You can learn more about the GRACE project at:

Http://NSFgrace.net

I'd also like to know more about the content of your GIS 101 course for teachers.