Select to view content in your preferred language

Hi, I'm a newbie attempting to build a fire service map book. What inputs are necessary?

10-30-2018 06:51 PM
Labels (1)
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Hi guys, a mapping newbie/volunteer fire officer here.  I'm attempting to create a fire run book using the "Fire Service Maps" add-on on ArcGIS PRO 2.2.  Some really basic stuff is stumping me already.

I did procure parcel outlines and Streets shapefiles from the county, but I don't know when/where to use them.  I'm going through the tasks and I'm at "Load data into SiteAddressPoint feature class".  Here's what it's giving me the option of doing: 

Instructions from task pane

I suppose I could just forge forward and try to see if the streets shapefile is able to be pulled in here, but I thought it'd be better if I asked first.  And when should I import the parcel outlines shapefile?

Sorry for the newb question.  (And I'm sure I'll have more to come!)

Thanks!  

0 Kudos
57 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you get any feedback from the county that is the data steward for the address points?  If the county is also trying to use ESRI's LGIM for address points to use OOTB apps, then this work might already be done.  It's quite expensive to write your own code and much more economical to use OOTB apps where configuration is all that is needed.

BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Nothing yet...but I only emailed them this morning.  Yes, I'm hoping that they adopted the stock LGIM, but not too optimistic.  Hopefully if they DO have something they won't make me/us pay again.  The county GIS has a fee schedule- a set price per parcel and then an hourly for 'custom' work.  Not too bad; ending up costing us like $250 for the 6,906 parcels in our township.  

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

LOL: next time they charge you ask who ever you are talking to what their address is.  Maybe they'll get the point!   😮

That should just about do it....
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you thought about trying to configure the solution with the parcel centroid points that you generated from the parcel polygons?  It might work with this setup and if not, it might help you to figure what the minimal critical fields of the LGIM are needed to get this solution to work as expected.  You could also start working on the setup with this approach instead of waiting for an answer from the county who might not even have the address points in ESRI's LGIM anyway.

BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Yep, that's what I was trying to do..I thought I was all kinds of crafty finding the tool to extract the coordinates of the point data into the table I created from Feature-To-Point.  However, the target table SiteAddressPoint has no place for me to map the coordinates to!  I'm still really perplexed as to how the map is supposed to know where the points are with no coordinates of any sort.  I thought that USNGCOORD would be it, but as Joe points out that's just a grid system and not an exact point.  I can't figure out anything that maps to the coordinates!!  Here's the schema:  https://solutions.arcgis.com/local-government/help/local-government-information-model/get-started/Da... 

I misspoke a little bit earlier:  That SiteAddressTable is actually The first of 5 steps of the 2nd task, "Load Your Source Data".  The five target tables I need to populate:

1- SiteAddressPoint

2. RoadCenterlines (working on that mapping now, looks like all the important stuff can be lined up)

3.  FireResponseRestrictPoint (which is road restrictions, like low bridges, gates, etc.- I will skip this for now)

4.  FireMapIndex (I really can't figure out what this is or what data it needs yet)

5.  FireDistrict (Looks like it's boundaries for different fire districts- I will likely skip that as well, as I'm only doing our district).

So I'm moving on with #2 for now and once I have identified the proper mappings I'll go back to #1.  Maybe I'll have an epiphany in the meantime!!!  

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you sure you actually need to see the coordinates of the point?  When you created the centroid points, the coordinates are stored in the geometry field that the software uses to map the points.  I think this is really what you need so I would give it a try with the point feature class you created. 

BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

The way this is structured, I have to create a new project to launch the

"Fire Service Maps" tasks. Then on the the data import task to populate

SiteAddresdPoints I designate as the input dataset the feature class which

I created in a separate, independent project. I actually did try to use the

same project but couldn't figure out how to load in the Maps template other

than by following their instructions - which of course called for a fresh

project...

0 Kudos
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

OK, sorry about the brief response- was on the road.

Now that I'm back in front of a real screen, here's what I tried to make sure that the points tied back to my shapefile to actually have some real spatial reference:

-Opened the project with my parcel polygons and SiteAdressPoints already in it

-As per the instructions here, I went to Open-->Portal-->and double clicked Fire ServiceMaps.ppkx from "My Content" (I had already "Deployed the solution" to my organization as per the instructions here).

-I then get a prompt to "Save Changes to <current project with polygons & address points>?"

-I click "Yes", and then it closes my prior project and opens a new win (of course starting from scratch).

So If I don't have those geometry points in my new project, how will it know?  I had assumed that the class in the prior project (created from FeatureToPoint) pointed back to the shapefile- that's how it knows where to put the points.  But obviously I really do not know the mechanics of it all.

I'm sure that other people who have deployed the maps have seen the same thing (unless it's always skipped?)  I considered just skipping it and adding the layer independently.  But if the SiteAddressPoints data is useless, why are they even asking for it?  There's got to be something I'm missing....

0 Kudos
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

WAIT A DANG MINUTE!  I think I see it now. I can actually import my parcels SHAPEFILE right into the project- I don't go through the conniption FIRST of creating the centroids- I'll do that once my project is all loaded up.  So yes, Michael, you are correct- it actually doesn't have to be in the target Feature Class if I have the shapefile in my project.  I threw myself off by creating the points FIRST! 

This hit me when I was doing step 2 (Street Centerlines) because I was thinking "wait, that doesn't have any spatial reference either!  And I finally clicked on the help button on the task explaining what append  does and it says plain and simple "Appends multiple input datasets into an existing target dataset. Input datasets can be feature classes, tables, shapefiles, rasters, annotation or dimensions feature classes."  And when I saw "shapefiles" that's when the bell went off.  And whaddaya know- that's also step 3 of my homework for tonight!

So it looks like Joe's homework is entirely relevant- I will be ditching shapefiles in lieu of a geodatabase and feature classes- but I can't ditch them until *after* in import them!

Onward and upward...now I gotta figure out the tedium of merging fields in my input schema to match the LGIM!

Thanks guys!  

0 Kudos