Calculate average shape of polygons

Jump to solution
11-13-2014 04:32 PM
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I mapped a couple of agricultural fields in a landscape with polygon features - so in the attribute table there are the shape_area and shape_length (=circumference) values available. For this values I can calculate the Median/Average values etc..

But is it possibility to calculate how the average (median etc...) polygon/field shape looks like?So what's the average (median) length and witdh of all fields?

Of course there are fields which are not 'exact' square I-shaped but also L-shaped, somewhat O-shaped etc..

So therefore anyway impossible?

best regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are tools in Bounding containers if you are working with shapefiles in a folder and not a gdb.  A minimum area bounding rectangle might be appropriate depending upon the shapes you have.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are tools in Bounding containers if you are working with shapefiles in a folder and not a gdb.  A minimum area bounding rectangle might be appropriate depending upon the shapes you have.

0 Kudos
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor

thanks for this tbx!

Unfortunately it didn't work out on the first run.

This is the error msg:

Spatial reference:

DHDN_3_Degree_Gauss_Zone_3

<type 'exceptions.RuntimeError'>: ERROR 999999: Error executing function.

Failed to execute (BoundingContainers).

Failed at Fri Nov 14 13:26:43 2014 (Elapsed Time: 4,00 seconds)

any idea?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

never seen that...you are using shapefiles and not geodatabase of network sources as required aren't you?  and it is a projected coordinate system also since containers only make sense if planar coordinates are used since circular arcs would otherwise be required to connect the points.   if all is good, then , zip and email me the shapefile and I will look at it later today  dan.patterson AT carleton.ca

0 Kudos
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor

No networfk. Coordinate-S. is "DHDN_3_Degree_Gauss_Zone_3" which should be a projected? I got a gdb but used "feature class to shapefile" and saved the outcome in an own folder and reopened the shape - and tried it on this? perhaps to unexperienced and I did just something wrong? sended you a msg - thanks for this offerbest

0 Kudos