Start and Stop point numbers in a line shapefile

Jump to solution
11-03-2014 04:23 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I am trying to populate my line shapefile attribute table with the start and stop point numbers from my point shapefile.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SeanO_Brien
New Contributor III

If your lines are split at the fittings, and you have and Advanced license, you can use the Feature Vertices to Points tool. You can run the tool twice, once with the tool option "Point Type" as "Start" and once with "End". You will then have points that coincide or are very close to your existing points. Then use a spatial join to pull the attributes from the existing points to your newly created points. Then you can use an attribute join to join those back to your line (the Feature Vertices to Points tool retains the original FID so you can join it back).

Also, if you don't have an Advanced license, XTools has a tool with that functionality, and there is a free 14 day trial.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

in the Calculate Geometry option for calculating values for fields there is an option for calculating the start X and Start Y and end X and end y.  you can add 4 fields to your table, calculate values for them and if you want them to be points in arcmap, use the File, Add Data, Add XY data and add the start point coordinates or the end point coordinates to your file.  Alternately, if you have the appropriate license you can convert polylines to points and select the ones you wish to keep

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dan,

Thank you for your reply. However, I must be more specific. I have a hydraulic model with pipes and fittings. Both the line and the point shapefiles already exist. The fittings have numbers, F123, etc. I need to populate the pipe attribute table with the start and stop fitting number from my fitting attribute table. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Dean Hunt

Engineering Tech / GIS

Nevada Irrigation District

(530) 271-6854

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That would be either an attribute join or a spatial join depending upon your data setup, it is hard to tell without a picture.  An attribute join means that you have a common field that you can use in the join, a spatial join means that the join is based upon closest proximity of one feature layer's features to another.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Dan, that got me going in the right direction.

Dean Hunt

Engineering Tech / GIS

(530) 271-6854

0 Kudos
SeanO_Brien
New Contributor III

If your lines are split at the fittings, and you have and Advanced license, you can use the Feature Vertices to Points tool. You can run the tool twice, once with the tool option "Point Type" as "Start" and once with "End". You will then have points that coincide or are very close to your existing points. Then use a spatial join to pull the attributes from the existing points to your newly created points. Then you can use an attribute join to join those back to your line (the Feature Vertices to Points tool retains the original FID so you can join it back).

Also, if you don't have an Advanced license, XTools has a tool with that functionality, and there is a free 14 day trial.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Sean, that worked perfect. A bit labor intensive, but it worked.

Dean Hunt

Engineering Tech / GIS

(530) 271-6854

0 Kudos