Problem when using Cartography tool 'Aggregate polygons', ArcGIS 10.5

11-30-2017 02:10 AM
MalinLundberg
New Contributor

I have been using the Aggregate polygons tool before without any problems, but now when I used it on a different dataset I couldn't get it to work. I got an error message saying "TIN internal process error". Does anyone know what this means? It is a quite big dataset, so I thought that it maybe was to big for the tool to process, hence I created partitions so that the tool could process small parts of the data at a time. Now I get the Aggregate to polygons tool to work, but even though I use the smallest feature count (500) when creating the partitions, I still have an area that is not calculated and in the partitions attribute table it says Error in the Status column for those partitions. Could there be something else that is wrong with the dataset? The dataset I am using is a merged product from two separate layers, and the tool is working when I use it on the separate layers.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

My first advise would be to run Check Geometry—Help | ArcGIS Desktop and Repair Geometry—Help | ArcGIS Desktop to see if there is something wrong with the geometry.

0 Kudos
MalinLundberg
New Contributor

Thank you for the advise. I run the tools, there were a few polygons that intersected and they were repaired. But I still have the same problem when running the Aggregate polygons tool.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Can you share the polygon(s) that present problems in the aggregation?

0 Kudos
MalinLundberg
New Contributor

Here is a screen shot of a part of the aggregate output. The purple layer visible in the middle is the layer that I have used as input, just to show the area that hasn't been processed. The red grid is the cartographic partitions used.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Can you attach that featureclass to the thread to see if we can reproduce the problem? 

0 Kudos
MalinLundberg
New Contributor

I am afraid I can't do that, the data is on a license agreement and I am not allowed to share it.

If you can't think of any other things that could be wrong, I may just have to figure out another way of doing the analyses I want. But thank you so much for your help.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Based on the image that you attached there is little I can do. Maybe it would be best to create a support case. They will handle your data confidentially. 

0 Kudos
MalinLundberg
New Contributor

Okay, where can I do that?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the aggregate polygons works with the two files separately, use Merge to combine the polygon result.

0 Kudos