Select to view content in your preferred language

Curve number equation raster calculator

04-15-2016 05:39 PM
MS10
by
Deactivated User

I have a floating point raster of Curve Numbers (70-91) and I'm attempting to use the curve number equation to create a weight raster for flow accumulation, to determine runoff for a single rainfall event. I'm familiar with this curve number equation:

Q = (P - 0.2S)2 / (P + 0.2S)

where

Q = total runoff P = preciptation (1 inch in this case) 0.2S = initial abstractions 0.8 = potential maximum retention after runoff begins

First question, would the precipitation part of the equation be a raster (e.g a raster where all cells have a value of 1) or would it just be the number '1' representing 1inch of rainfall? Secondly, as the 2 outside represents 'to the power of 2' i am unsure as how to do this in raster calculator. If anyone has any experience using this or a similar curve number equation to measure determine runoff any help would be appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

curve number gis

lots of links ie

http://www.ipcbee.com/vol80/004-ICGCE2015-G0011.pdf

but are your equations terms unique or is this a different curve number?

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

To address your questions:

would the precipitation part of the equation be a raster (e.g a raster where all cells have a value of 1) or would it just be the number '1' representing 1inch of rainfall? '

If the value is constant over the raster processing environment extent, a number will do. (Logically it gets interpreted as a raster covering the extent where all values are 1.)

as the 2 outside represents 'to the power of 2' i am unsure as how to do this in raster calculator.

Use the Python syntax for exponentiation:

(expr) ** 2 

or the Power tool:

Power(expr, 2)

0 Kudos
MS10
by
Deactivated User

Thanks for the replies, yes that is the curve number methodology i'm attempting Chris. I've just tried Equation 5 from that paper,(P - 0.3)2 / (p - 0.7), using Power(1 - 0.3, 2) / (1 - 0.7) in raster calcuator, which gives the error 'Error 000539 error running expression rcexec()'

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

(P - 0.2S)2 / (P + 0.2S)

P and S are rasters

(P - 0.2*S)**2 / (P + 0.2*S)

But this is simplified from the papers in the search

0 Kudos
MS10
by
Deactivated User

Hi, I tried that below using a max retention raster with values from 2-5 (mm of retention), however i'm still getting an error in raster calculator. The syntax I used is below.

cneq.png

Appreciate the help.

Edit: changed to ** 2 and it worked

("Precip" - 0.2 * "Max_retention") ** 2 / ("Precip" + 0.2 * "Max_retention")

0 Kudos