Select to view content in your preferred language

Side Scan Flight for ArcGIS LE won't connect to drone

Jump to solution
04-26-2024 02:16 AM
RachelS
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm trying to get started with Side Scan flight LE, but cannot get it to connect to the drone.

I'm using an ipad mini 4, 15.8 OS and the drone is DJI Phantom 4 Pro. 

I've wifi, drone and controller on, an apple cable but it just keeps saying 'Disconnected'.

The DJI software connects to the drone no problem which makes me think it's a problem with the Side Scan Software.

I've attached the screenshots. In the Global Settings the Aircraft and Camera Settings are greyed out as it's not connected.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
BertKraan1

Hi Rachel,

See the answer from @BrentPierce below. I also started out with a iPad (air) mini 4 and had lots of problems with my RTK connection which prevented many flights and took over a year to troubleshoot.

My own experience is that problems went away after upgrading to a iPad air 5th gen. It's now a pleasure to work with.

I would have loved to know that iPad mini 4 isn't supported.

Also; you really want an iPad with a simcard as the moment you're in the field you loose wifi. You can try to get by that with a mifi but that's another device, another battery to charge, setup etc.

Regards,

Bert

RachelS

Hi @BertKraan1 

I see that, it's a relief to finally find out the problem. It was a frustrating 4 days, I'm sure much more frustrating for yourself.

I agree it doesn't mention this in any ESRI pages, and I've looked through many at this stage!

Thanks for the tip on getting one with a SIM.

Rachel

0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Regular Contributor

@RachelS & @BertKraan1 I missed this a well apoligies. Hopefully it all works out for you now

BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

I'll be the first to admit, we could do a much better job documenting this. We document other hardware support quite exhaustively but it should be extended to the mobile end of the hardware spectrum. Thanks for the feedback.

BertKraan1

@GordonSumerling & @BrentPierce  We live and learn 🙂, it still is an awesome suite of software 😇 and great to work with.

regards, Bert 

0 Kudos
RachelS

@GordonSumerling @BrentPierce @BertKraan1 
Thanks you all for your help.

In the process of getting a new ipad now and looking forward to getting stuck into it!

0 Kudos
RachelS

Hi @GordonSumerling @BrentPierce @BertKraan1 

The saga continues. I got a new Ipad Air 5th generation but it won't connect to the drone.

After a google search I found loads of threads that the Phantom 4 Pro doesn't work with the c-type connection on the newer ipads.

So I'm now left that the older ipads with the lightening cable are too old for Side Scan software and the new ipads with the c-type connection don't work with DJI Go 4.

Nightmare!

0 Kudos