Select by Attribute fails using Python Layer Object in Standalone script

Jump to solution
05-31-2017 08:33 AM
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

How a script can work within a map document python interpreter but fail as a standalone script has puzzled me several times and I usually find a way to work around it.  This one though I want answers to.

I have simplified a part of a much larger script to indicate the issue I am having, all I want to do is select all the features within the current map extent(I need a count of them, so I use this with GetCount).  Since Select By Attribute works with the Extent Environmental variable, I figured that was the easiest way to do it.  When running with the python interpreter in a map document, this script works fine.

import arcpy
mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("CURRENT")
Layer2 = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "USA City Populations")[0]
df = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd)[0]
arcpy.env.extent = df.extent
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(Layer2)

It select all the features in my dataframe extent as I want.  However, I want to run this as a standalone, only changing the mxd to the file path of the map document instead of the "CURRENT" key word it fails.

ExecuteError: ERROR 000358: Invalid expression
Failed to execute (SelectLayerByAttribute).

Select By Attribute is supposed to be able to work with TOC Layers, so I don't see why there is an issue using a Layer Object.  I've also attempted this with the Layer Name as it appears in the TOC hard-coded in as the input for SelectLayerByAttribute.  Again this works fine when run within the map document with the python interpreter and using the "CURRENT" Keyword but fails as a standalone with the map document path hard coded in.  I know the workaround is just to make a Feature Layer, but I want to understand why this simple code won't work standalone but will within the python interpreter.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I figured it out, problem with a bad definition query. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if it is totally offline, I am not sure why you would want to work with a dataframe.  In any event, an in arcmap can become a *.lyr for use out of arcmap, it references the data and contains the symbology

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

It is part of a larger script that will eventually export the map to a pdf.  I need to get the count of the features in the current map extent for that layer then change the definition query depending on the count.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What version are you running?  I am running 10.5, and I just tried to recreate your problem using an MXD and I could not.  I am not sure if I didn't set everything up the same as you or if something else is going on.

Does you map layer have a definition query? What type of data store is the layer in, file geodatabase?

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I figured it out, problem with a bad definition query. 

0 Kudos