Python Script - Row Size Error

Jump to solution
01-03-2022 07:02 AM
jfiacco
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone,

I'm using a python script designed to export Survey123 results from the cloud to an SDE. The survey has 784 columns and all columns are necessary. After testing and removing various columns, 599 columns runs successfully, while 600+ crashes and displays the following error. I have also removed all text fields and changed them to numeric but the code still crashes giving the same error message. Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone know a workaround or fix for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

FAIL: Making Tables
exception:
ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
Underlying DBMS error [[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Creating or altering table 'TEST675_TESTING_675' failed because the minimum row size would be 8547, including 84 bytes of internal overhead. This exceeds the maximum allowable table row size of 8060 bytes.] [pwsd_survey123.DBO.TEST675_TESTING_675]
DBMS table not found [pwsd_survey123.DBO.TEST675_TESTING_675]
Failed to execute (CreateFeatureclass).
["ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.\nUnderlying DBMS error [[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Creating or altering table 'TEST675_TESTING_675' failed because the minimum row size would be 8547, including 84 bytes of internal overhead. This exceeds the maximum allowable table row size of 8060 bytes.] [pwsd_survey123.DBO.TEST675_TESTING_675]\nDBMS table not found [pwsd_survey123.DBO.TEST675_TESTING_675]\nFailed to execute (CreateFeatureclass).\n"]
<class 'arcgisscripting.ExecuteError'>
----------------------
arcpy messages:
ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
Underlying DBMS error [[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Creating or altering table 'TEST675_TESTING_675' failed because the minimum row size would be 8547, including 84 bytes of internal overhead. This exceeds the maximum allowable table row size of 8060 bytes.] [pwsd_survey123.DBO.TEST675_TESTING_675]
DBMS table not found [pwsd_survey123.DBO.TEST675_TESTING_675]
Failed to execute (CreateFeatureclass).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jfiacco
New Contributor III

I found a solution through Survey123 involving relevant expressions. Should anyone else come across this error, please reach out!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This isn't a Survey123, Python, or even Esri issue; you are running into a limitation of SQL Server.  I suggest you do a general internet search for that SQL Server error message and also talk with a SQL Server DBA regarding why you are running into this issue.

jfiacco
New Contributor III

I've exhausted all of the options you've mentioned which is why I figured I'd post here, hoping someone else has had this issue. Thanks for your feedback.

0 Kudos
jfiacco
New Contributor III

I found a solution through Survey123 involving relevant expressions. Should anyone else come across this error, please reach out!