Installing older versions of Numpy + Matplotlib (virturalenvwrapper-win)

Jump to solution
06-02-2016 01:36 AM
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III

I'm busy setting up a virtualenv for my ArcGIS 10.3.1 Python (2.7.8 64bit) Development. I've created a new virtualenv using virtualenvwrapper-win and it's installed a clean installation of Python based on the current default version installed by ArcGIS. I trying to install the ArcGIS required versions of the following packages:

• Numpy (1.7.1)
  • matplotlib (1.3.0)
  • xlrd (0.9.2)
  • xwlt (0.7.5)
  • Pyparsing (1.5.7)

When I try to install Numpy (1.7.1) and matplotlib (1.3.0) via command line using pip install, it fails as it can't find a Python Wheel for the following and only finds a zipped file that it tries to compile and fails. I don't have any experience in how to achieve the following. I tried downloading an executional installation for the following but unfortunately it doesn't give you the option to select an alternative installation directory but the default Python installation under my C Drive. Any help to solve the following will truly be appreciated.

ArcGIS1031_Python_Requirements.PNG

ArcGIS 10.3.1 Python Requirements

Virtualenvwrapper_pip_install_numpy171_01.PNG

Virtualenvwrapper-win: pip install Numpy (1.7.1)

Virtualenvwrapper_pip_install_numpy171_02.PNG

Virtualenvwrapper-win: pip install Numpy (1.7.1) error message unable to compile

Numpy171_executioanl_installation.PNG

Numpy 1.7.1 Executional Installation (Unable to change Python Directory or Installation Directory)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

The installer exe is executable zip file. Just extract it using 7zip or similar and copy the numpy folder and numpy-1.7.1-py2.7.egg-info (they're under the PLATLIB folder in the extracted exe) to your virtualenvs site packages folder.

Or you could copy them from your existing python installation, or even use virtualenv --system-site-packages so your virtualenv can access the already installed numpy and matplotlib.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

The installer exe is executable zip file. Just extract it using 7zip or similar and copy the numpy folder and numpy-1.7.1-py2.7.egg-info (they're under the PLATLIB folder in the extracted exe) to your virtualenvs site packages folder.

Or you could copy them from your existing python installation, or even use virtualenv --system-site-packages so your virtualenv can access the already installed numpy and matplotlib.

PeterWilson

Hi Luke

Thanks for the following, truly appreciated.

0 Kudos
PeterWilson

Hi Luke

Thanks for your help, I was able to install the correct Python packages based on your advice.

0 Kudos