Installing Anaconda for Python 2.7 with arcpy in the environment

11-08-2018 10:44 AM
JustinBridwell2
Occasional Contributor II

I recently uninstalled Anaconda due to a conflict with my pandas packages. I use to have it configured with my ArcGIS Pro Python 3.65 environment. Now I want to reinstall it, but for my ArcGIS Desktop 10.5/ Python 2.7 environment. I need to have an environment that has both the arcpy , pandas, and arcgis libraries/mods in it (which my current 2.7/ArcMap 10.5 does). How can I install Anaconda for 2.7 without overwriting or interfering with my current ArcGIS 10.5/ Python 2.7 environment AND set up my arcpy/arcgis/pandas within that new Anaconda environment? If I wanted to copy my current Arc - Python 2.7 env folder, where would I find it (ex: C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.5)?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Don't mess with the anaconda distribution for Pro

Maybe all you need is a 'pip' install for arcmap to have it go into your 'site_packages' folder with the rest of the modules that were installed there with ArcMap and your python 2.7

Installation — pandas 0.23.4 documentation 

JustinBridwell2
Occasional Contributor II

Unfortunately, the copy of ArcGIS Pro that I have didn't come with Anaconda. Originally, I had to install it separately for 3.65 and copy the env folder from Pro and past it into the Anaconda env file  in order to get arpy to work. I am thinking that I can do something similar for Anaconda with 2.7 if I can figure out where the env for Arc 10.5 is located.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When you install pro, the anaconda distribution of python and all the 'stuff' is installed.  You will have to 'conda' installs since the Pro package manager is defunct since version 2.2

C:\ … your ArcGIS pro install folder … \bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3

I don't have arcmap installed anymore,  but python for 10.5 is in a …  c:\python2.. (whatever version) folder. as is arcpy and the rest of the modules, in their own site_packages folder.