Install Python module with Python 2.7 and Arcmap 10.2.2

Jump to solution
02-11-2015 03:08 AM
StefanoGrassi
New Contributor

Dear community,

I have installed Arcgis 10.2.2. (64x) and Python 2.7.9 with Matplotlib and Numpy included by default.

I want to install additional module such as Shapely or Fiona or Pandas (version 64x) using the .whl extension.

The installation using the cmd shell works well and all modules are installed in the directory of ArcGISx6410.2/Lib/site-packages but when I try to import the module in PyScripter using "import Shapely", the IDE doesn't recognize it.

In the Python Interpreter window the following message appears: "** Python 2.7.9 (default, Dec 10 2014, 12:24:55) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32. ***" which obviously seems to be the reasons why the x64 Python modules cannot be imported.

I would like to use the x64 version in order to use also arcpy. I wouldn't like to switch to the x32 version

Could you please give me a solution?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Stefano

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As far as I know, ArcGIS 10.x is 32 bits, although there is the background processing which uses 64 bits. To work with arcpy you will need 32 bits IDE. Shapely, Fiona and Panda can be installed for the 32 bits PyScripter. A good resource to download setup's for Python modules is: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

View solution in original post

3 Replies
XanderBakker

As far as I know, ArcGIS 10.x is 32 bits, although there is the background processing which uses 64 bits. To work with arcpy you will need 32 bits IDE. Shapely, Fiona and Panda can be installed for the 32 bits PyScripter. A good resource to download setup's for Python modules is: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

deleted-user-inorwvtTN8fW
New Contributor

The site says, "Many binaries depend on numpy-1.14+mkl ". Numby on Desktop 10.X is in version 1.9.3. Could this cause any issues when attempting to download from the site?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I think that in 3 years (since my last post) a lot has happened. I haven't visited the site recently and I'm sure that many links have been updated. Also a lot has happened with ArcGIS in those years. Many users have switched to ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Pro uses a different mechanism to install additional libraries (Conda): The Python Package Manager—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop 

So, my question would be, what version of ArcGIS are you using? Have you taken a look at ArcGIS Pro? What libraries do you want to install?

In case of using ArcMap, have you tried using PIP to install additional libraries: Installing Python Modules — Python 2.7.15 documentation 

0 Kudos