ESRI Debugger for Python script

Jump to solution
10-28-2015 12:42 PM
TerryGustafson
Occasional Contributor II

What are folks using when they want to debug a script you run in ArcMap?  I'm running a script and it is giving me the following error

"Runtime error  Traceback (most recent call last):   File "<string>", line 57, in <module>   File "E:\MDTAPPS\Desktop10.2\arcpy\arcpy\lr.py", line 396, in LocateFeaturesAlongRoutes     raise e ExecuteError: ERROR 000709: The type of out_event_properties does not match the type of in_features.  "

I have looked syntax for the locate feature along route and not sure about the out_event_properties.  my in_features are points and the output_event_properties is a table.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

As Rebecca Strauch, GISP says, have you consulted the help page for the tool giving the error? At the bottom, there are examples, including the third one that shows how to construct valid "out_event_properties" for input point features:

props = "rkey POINT mp"  # Example of valid out_event_properties parameter

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

A good place to start is with the error message itself.  Looking up the help on

Locate Features Along Routes—Linear Referencing toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

will show you that a table is not the correct "out_event_properties" for the command.  I would start there.  

EDIT:  you may have your arguments out of order??  it would help to see your code and/or the command input.

As for other debugging...use lots of arcpy.AddMessage and or print to see what all your variables are as you go along.  Figure out what line is causing the erorr, and figure out why....like the help above.

Hope that helps with this question.  If it was a rhetorical ....I can add more opinions. 

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

As Rebecca Strauch, GISP says, have you consulted the help page for the tool giving the error? At the bottom, there are examples, including the third one that shows how to construct valid "out_event_properties" for input point features:

props = "rkey POINT mp"  # Example of valid out_event_properties parameter

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are you running python using arcmap's ide or something else external, like pythonwin, pyscripter etc etc?  If internal...Using the Results window—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop or if you have errors with arctoolbox tools as well