Editing python toolboxes with PyScripter

03-13-2017 10:57 PM
GinoMellino
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

I have recently upgraded to a new workstation and now I cannot get my python toolboxes (or script tool scripts) to open by default in pyscripter. I have followed the instructions here but when I right click the item in catalog and 'edit' it just seems to refresh the folder the item is in and do nothing else. I have also tried setting PyCharm as the default editor but the behaviour is the same. If I do not specify an editor it opens in notepad as expected. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Gino

P.S. Sorry, further details:

I have tried both x86 and x64 pyscripters and have forced running python 2.7. I am running Windows 7 x64 and ArcGIS 10.4.1.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Have you tried just starting PyScripter and using File/Open in the normal manner? What happens?

GinoMellino
Occasional Contributor

Hi Neil, 

Yes I have and it this works fine - opens as expected and I can modify and save the .pyt. I can get by doing it this way but it is not ideal 😞

Cheers, 

Gino

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Just to verify, when you set up the options for the Editor in ArcMap/Catalog, you are pointing to the PyScripter .exe file?  I use Wing, but this is how mine is setup.

I'm using 10.3.1

0 Kudos
GinoMellino
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rebecca, 

Yes set to the .exe as below.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A warning if you are... or are going to work in a virtualized environment

Do note that PyScripter does not work well with virtual environments, therefore cannot be used with Python included in ArcGIS Pro 1.3. Some good alternatives for PyScripter are....

From here... just in case you want to make the move before you have to.

0 Kudos
GinoMellino
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan, I guess it would be a good idea!!

0 Kudos