Arcpy MakeFeatureLayer_management Lyr name

Jump to solution
05-24-2017 03:44 PM
JorgePereira
New Contributor II

I'm a complete noob at arcpy. 

I must do a college paper using arcpy. It’s a step by step thing and it takes much longer than expected J

I’ve got a question regarding the add join tool. From what I could find online, I need to make a feature layer to get the join working. I’ve achieved this, but always with a problem: I lose my feature name when converting it to a layer. Each new feature is named after the «joinFeaturesLyr» (adding a number) and not using the features in the database names. Is there a way to solve this? It’s been killing me for the las two days.

This is the part of the script I mentioned. I tried to use the for

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True
arcpy.env.workspace = tmp_GDB    #It's a gdb called tmp!
#outputFcList = arcpy.ListFeatureClasses() 
#print outputFcList

for joinFeatures in arcpy.ListFeatureClasses():
     arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(joinFeatures, "joinFeaturesLyr")

print 'Executing'

try:
         arcpy.AddJoin_management(in_layer_or_view="joinFeaturesLyr", in_field="MsLink_ODBC", join_table=catalogo, join_field="ligacao")
     except Exception as err:
         print(err.args[0])

print ‘Exporting'
     try:
         arcpy.FeatureClassToGeodatabase_conversion("joinFeaturesLyr", tmp_GDB)
     except:
         #arcpy.AddError('Script Error')
         print arcpy.GetMessages()

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JorgePereira
New Contributor II

Solved by using arcpy.JoinField_management....... Thank you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words, sometimes more.  If you could provide a couple screenshots showing what you see and describing what you want/expect to see, it would be helpful. 

JorgePereira
New Contributor II

Yes, Thank you for you swift answer. I've tried it with Describe. Same issue

I wanted to have the same name of the input join features after the join. The problem is that, to have a join, I need to use the arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management. I've been unable to give each layer the name of the original feature. The join works, but in the end, instead of having a feature named T121502_A_pol_Polygon (and son on), the join features that result from the script are named (in this case) i_name_join (and so on). Is there a way to change the cript in order to get that result? 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What about:  arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(i.name, i.name + "_join")

0 Kudos
JorgePereira
New Contributor II

I also tried it. But the problem remains. Maybe the picture isn't clear. The «i_name_join_*» features are the result of the script. The «T121502_**» are the input features. They are the ones de «describe» is getting. What I would want is to have in the end, if possible, is:

original inpuit feature name «T121502_A_pol_Polygon»; result of the script «T121502_A_pol_Polygon» and not what i'm getting - «i_name_join»

I'm about to give up and use the result as is 😞 

0 Kudos
JorgePereira
New Contributor II

Solved by using arcpy.JoinField_management....... Thank you

0 Kudos