32Bit vs 64Bit- pip installs

Jump to solution
02-15-2018 05:08 AM
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

Hello all,

I am experiencing an issue with python installations 32bit and 64bit.

ArcMap 10.5.1 (uses 32bit) however I also installed the 64bit background processing. This is great however when I install 3rd party libraries via CMD "pip install <package_name>" it loads the libraries into the 32bit python when I try to import them into IDLE (uses 64bit now because of the background processing I installed) it fails for obvious reasons (its not there)

All pip installs go to the 32bit Python but I need them to hit the 64bit python because that's what ArcMap is using now.

the environment variables are still the same pointing to the 64bit instance of Python27 folder unless the background processing .exe's are in a different location? I assume I need to point the pip installs to the 64bit locations...

successful import of 3rd party library in 32bit

failed import into 64Bit python

Note: scrapy is just an example, same result for all libraries being installed via pip

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There will be separate pip.exe files for both the 32- and 64-bit bundled Python installs.  Instead of just typing "pip," which is a bit of a lottery depending on how your path variables are constructed, type the full path to pip, whether the 32- or 64-bit install:

C:\>Python27\ArcGIS10.6\Scripts\pip.exe ....‍‍

I would install the package in both Python distributions; otherwise, you run the risk the code will run sometimes and not others depending on whether the 32- or 64-bit interpreter is being used.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There will be separate pip.exe files for both the 32- and 64-bit bundled Python installs.  Instead of just typing "pip," which is a bit of a lottery depending on how your path variables are constructed, type the full path to pip, whether the 32- or 64-bit install:

C:\>Python27\ArcGIS10.6\Scripts\pip.exe ....‍‍

I would install the package in both Python distributions; otherwise, you run the risk the code will run sometimes and not others depending on whether the 32- or 64-bit interpreter is being used.

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

simple enough, should have thought of that.

in CMD

CD C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.5\Scripts

pip install <package_name>

this works thanks bixb0012

0 Kudos