Select to view content in your preferred language

Changing the service workspace of all the map services

Jump to solution
09-01-2023 01:34 PM
Rodrigo_DaSilva
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to change the workspace of all map services without republishing.

(We are migrating to the new SQL Enterprise GDB from the OLD SQL Enterprise GDB.
We need all map services to access new SQL Enterprise GDB data without republishing.

Suggestions for this are welcome 😃

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @Rodrigo_DaSilva 

If you already have services published then wait for Pro 3.2 release, it will add the capability to change the data source of published services in the "Update Data Source for Map" tool.

If you cannot wait for Pro 3.2 release or if you cannot move to Pro 3.2 when it comes out, then I am sorry to say that you will need to republish the services.

However, you can use these steps to avoid having to republish services in the future and to avoid having to use the Pro 3.2 "Update Data Source for Map" tool as well.

1. create a DNS alias that points to the database server

example:

DNS alias "gisdb1.acme.com" resolves to the server hostname "sqldb1.acme.com"

2. SQL Server Instance runs on default port 1433

3. SQL Server Database Server has Static IP Address

4. In the Geodatabase Connection Files use the DNS alias - Example: gisdb1.acme.com

5. Resource all map documents with the new Geodatabase Connection Files

6. Republish all the Services

Now, the next time the SQL Server Instance and Databases need to move to a new Server Hostname you can simply change the DNS Alias to point to the new server hostname, this will not break the geodatabase connection files, therefore it will not break any ArcGIS Server Services that were published.

Example: SQL Server Instance & Dabases move from "sqldb1.acme.com" to "sqldb2.acme.com, and the DNS Alias changes to resolve to the new server.

"gisdb1.acme.com" resolves to "sqldb2.esri.com"

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |

View solution in original post

A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

The docs say that this is possible via ArcGIS Server manager:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/manage-data/windows/registering-your-data-with-arcgis....

(A few paragraphs down from here, it says "This updates the registration for all services except stream services and ArcGIS Workflow Manager (Classic) services")

Although I've never found this to work 😞

I have found that this can be achieved via changing the configuration on the backend with the ArcGIS Server service stopped - it's not a supported workflow and can break things!

"We've boosted the Anti-Mass Spectrometer to 105 percent. Bit of a gamble, but we need the extra resolution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @Rodrigo_DaSilva 

If you already have services published then wait for Pro 3.2 release, it will add the capability to change the data source of published services in the "Update Data Source for Map" tool.

If you cannot wait for Pro 3.2 release or if you cannot move to Pro 3.2 when it comes out, then I am sorry to say that you will need to republish the services.

However, you can use these steps to avoid having to republish services in the future and to avoid having to use the Pro 3.2 "Update Data Source for Map" tool as well.

1. create a DNS alias that points to the database server

example:

DNS alias "gisdb1.acme.com" resolves to the server hostname "sqldb1.acme.com"

2. SQL Server Instance runs on default port 1433

3. SQL Server Database Server has Static IP Address

4. In the Geodatabase Connection Files use the DNS alias - Example: gisdb1.acme.com

5. Resource all map documents with the new Geodatabase Connection Files

6. Republish all the Services

Now, the next time the SQL Server Instance and Databases need to move to a new Server Hostname you can simply change the DNS Alias to point to the new server hostname, this will not break the geodatabase connection files, therefore it will not break any ArcGIS Server Services that were published.

Example: SQL Server Instance & Dabases move from "sqldb1.acme.com" to "sqldb2.acme.com, and the DNS Alias changes to resolve to the new server.

"gisdb1.acme.com" resolves to "sqldb2.esri.com"

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

The docs say that this is possible via ArcGIS Server manager:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/manage-data/windows/registering-your-data-with-arcgis....

(A few paragraphs down from here, it says "This updates the registration for all services except stream services and ArcGIS Workflow Manager (Classic) services")

Although I've never found this to work 😞

I have found that this can be achieved via changing the configuration on the backend with the ArcGIS Server service stopped - it's not a supported workflow and can break things!

"We've boosted the Anti-Mass Spectrometer to 105 percent. Bit of a gamble, but we need the extra resolution."
0 Kudos
Rodrigo_DaSilva
Occasional Contributor

Hi, thank you very much for your comments. @MarceloMarques and @A_Wyn_Jones 

I will test in my test environment the actions mentioned.

But I'm glad to hear that a feature of this size is being envisioned by ESRI in the near future.

0 Kudos