Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Server missing batch utility for migration of service runtime

Jump to solution
a month ago
ElijahMlawsky
New Contributor II

We are currently migrating standalone servers from ArcGIS Server 10.7 Advanced to ArcGIS Server 11.2 Advanced. We have provisioned 11.2 on a fresh VM rather than as an in-place upgrade. The services were then transferred by copying over the existing config folders: "arcgisserver\directories",  "arcgisserver\config-store\services", and any registered data stores. As a result, the services appear in the server manager, but cannot be started due to runtime incompatibility - having all been published with the ArcMap runtime and not ArcGIS Pro. From the server manager, it is possible to edit the runtime of each service individually, resulting in a working service where compatible with the newer runtime.

It appears that ESRI had once included a utility to batch this runtime migration:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/10.9.1/publish-services/windows/migrate-services-using-the-c...

Was this utility only available in Server 10.9? It is missing from the stated location in our installation of 11.2: <ArcGIS Server installation location>\tools\UpdateArcMapServices\UpdateArcMapServices.bat

Is anyone able to share a copy of this .bat file? Other ideas for batch runtime migration?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

The Migration utility is only available in version 10.9.1. I do not have 10.9.1 installed, however I would think the bat file calls other executables that would also have to be present  on your server. The in-place upgrade would convert the services, but I think you are making the better choice to start with a fresh install. I recommend converting your map documents to ArcGIS Pro and republishing them. Both of these can be done with scripting to save you time. You should also be able to use the REST Admin API to recreate the data stores on the new server site fairly quickly (depending on how many you have).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

Normally, you can select the "Other Versions" in their help documentation and if that documentation exists for the version you need, then it should be included. The problem with the page you posted is that even if I select other versions, such as 11.2, it keeps on redirecting me back to 10.9.1. So I'm not sure if this is a bug in their documentation or not. I submitted feedback on that page to Esri so hopefully it gets addressed. And hopefully someone else will be able to confirm if that functionality exists in 11.2.

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

Actually, I wasn't thinking and I have 11.2 installed and I can confirm that I do NOT have that utility. In fact, the entire UpdateArcMapServices folder doesn't even exist. 

0 Kudos
ElijahMlawsky
New Contributor II

This is what I am seeing as well.

0 Kudos
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

The Migration utility is only available in version 10.9.1. I do not have 10.9.1 installed, however I would think the bat file calls other executables that would also have to be present  on your server. The in-place upgrade would convert the services, but I think you are making the better choice to start with a fresh install. I recommend converting your map documents to ArcGIS Pro and republishing them. Both of these can be done with scripting to save you time. You should also be able to use the REST Admin API to recreate the data stores on the new server site fairly quickly (depending on how many you have).

0 Kudos
ElijahMlawsky
New Contributor II

Thanks - I would assume those other executables are still present in 11.2, given the functionality to upgrade the runtime via the server manager, but I wouldn't know where to look for them. I agree that converting .mxds to .aprx and republishing is the logical next step, and conversion should be done at some point regardless. Fortunately, the data stores have already been successfully configured.

I am going to mark this as the solution, but would still like to get my hands on the .bat utility from 10.9 to see what it is calling - if anyone has access to it and it is acceptable to share such a thing.

0 Kudos