Select to view content in your preferred language

Oriented Imagery Catalog - CamHeading from Metadata?

11-03-2021 10:23 AM
adevadas
New Contributor III

I am using the Oriented Imagery Catalog to view JPG's from a 360 camera. I want to set the CamHeading field in the attribute table from the metadata of the JPG file. Is this possible? 

I tried to use the 'Calculate Heading' Geoprocessing tool, but those headings are not correct, the 'view' points to the wrong direction when looking . I have access to the camera heading and can store it in the metadata of each JPG. 

ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3

Windows 10

Images from Insta360 Pro 2

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffPace1
New Contributor III

I am currently working with support on directly using camera EXIF data to populate the heading

PamBlackmore
New Contributor III

Were you able to come up with a solution to do this?

0 Kudos
adevadas
New Contributor III

I was able to get it to work by creating a CSV file with the following columns, and using it as a FrameTable.  

adevadas_1-1696808263615.png

Each row has the values for one 360 image. Here are the columns needed in the CSV file.

• X: Longitude
  • Y: Latitude
  • SRS: 4326 (this is what worked for me)
  • Image: URL address of the image that is stored on Amazon Web Services (AWS) storage
  • AcquisitionDate: Date & time when image was acquired
  • CamHeading: Heading of the camera
  • OIType: B
  • SortOrder: 0 (don't know if this column is necessary)

The images are stored in AWS. The AWS account needs to be setup using the steps outlined in the Oriented Imagery Catalog (OIC) manual. 

When creating the OIC in ArcGIS Pro, the CSV file is selected as the FrameTable 

0 Kudos
PamBlackmore
New Contributor III

Thanks for sharing! I am doing something similar: I used Phil Harvey's Exif Tools to pull the camera heading data into a csv. Then I have to either join or copy/paste the data into the exposure points attribute table. I was hoping there was an Esri tool to pull that metadata into the attribute table so I wouldn't have to do it outside of ArcGIS Pro (and handle the data as much). The calculate heading tool in Pro is not accurately calculating it. If you have any suggestions for how to do that, I would love to hear 🙂

0 Kudos
adevadas
New Contributor III

I couldn't find a way to create Exposure Points in ArcGIS Pro. I had to create the FrameTable externally. 

0 Kudos