Select to view content in your preferred language

How to "cut off" areas from map in data view

Jump to solution
12-16-2016 07:08 AM
Larry_Miller
Deactivated User

I have a map display to an extent close to what I need. There are some areas North and South of the targeted area that I would like to remove from the finished map when printed. I am fairly new at this and cant quite figure out all of the bells and whistles to edit the format.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You could create a polygon feature class that is of the exact dimensions of your area of interest and use it to set the extent of your data display:

Create a feature class in a database in ArcGIS for Desktop—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

or use a graphic to do the same thing.  Or set it to exact xy coordinates:

Customizing your map extent—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

BTW, attaching an mxd without the appropriate data provides nothing for the forum.  An mxd is nothing more than a 'laundry list' of what data you've added and how it's displayed.

File Format MXD - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia 

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You could create a polygon feature class that is of the exact dimensions of your area of interest and use it to set the extent of your data display:

Create a feature class in a database in ArcGIS for Desktop—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

or use a graphic to do the same thing.  Or set it to exact xy coordinates:

Customizing your map extent—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

BTW, attaching an mxd without the appropriate data provides nothing for the forum.  An mxd is nothing more than a 'laundry list' of what data you've added and how it's displayed.

File Format MXD - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia 

That should just about do it....
Larry_Miller
Deactivated User

sorry about the .mdx again new to this, still kicking the tires But Thank you very much for the help.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Besides what Joe suggested, one can also do the "old-fashioned" trick of making a polygon feature class to use as a mask, then adding polygons to that feature class that cover up the areas that you don't want to be visible.  When the last bits are covered, move the layer to the top in the Table of Contents and change both the border color and fill to white (or whatever color is your background color).  This will effectively make the stuff you don't want seen disappear.

Chris Donohue, GISP