How can I auto-connect polygons in ArcGIS 10.3?

Jump to solution
06-17-2015 01:11 PM
SteveSkotnicki
New Contributor

I am new to ArcGis, and I am creating a large number of adjacent polygons for a geologic map that share edges. How can I connect one polygon to another such that the topology will contain no gaps, and will allow me NOT to have to redraw the shared edge(s)?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Have you already started drawing? If not, I've found it easier to start with a large polygon covering your entire area, and cutting it into smaller contiguous pieces than to draw new polygons.

Aside from that, you may be interested in topology editing.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Have you already started drawing? If not, I've found it easier to start with a large polygon covering your entire area, and cutting it into smaller contiguous pieces than to draw new polygons.

Aside from that, you may be interested in topology editing.

IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Agreed Darren, that is a much easier procedure then trying to get a bunch of polygons to be coincident with each other.  Sometimes its worth it even if you already started drawing since it saves so much time trying to line up vertices and edges.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

If you've already started drawing use the Auto-Complete polygon tool. it's at the bottom of your create features dialog Darren Wiens is correct drawing one large poly and cutting the smaller ones is easier.

SteveSkotnicki
New Contributor

Thank you guys. I see the Auto Complete Polygon tool at the bottom of Complete Features.

If I create one large polygon (say, the outside boundary of the map) and then cut it up into smaller and smaller polygons, doesn't that necessitate beginning at the edge of the map and working inward? This technique seems a little primitive. It is really the most effective method?

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

It makes it less likely you'll create gaps between the polygons.. When using the cut polygon tool i like to start on the outside of the polygon and finish on the outside of the polygon so you wont get the unable to complete operation message. I think it's faster to do it this way too.

0 Kudos
FilipKrál
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Steve,

Since 10.0 or so the Auto-Complete Polygon editing tool has been working pretty well for me.

And if that tool is not enough then topological editing is the way to go.

Filip.

0 Kudos
SteveSkotnicki
New Contributor

I just tried the Auto Complete tool. It works, at least for two relatively simple polygons. My GIS coworker also recommends the cutting-polygon technique. I will try both, and play with the typology and see what works best for me. If I have any insights I'll post them.

Darren, Ian, Wes, Stephe, and Filip, I am grateful for your advice:)

0 Kudos
BruceCarroll1
New Contributor II

I use the cut larger polygon method suggested by Darren when I can. It is definitely the most efficient and leads to fewer gap and overlap errors.

Another couple of techniques that I use:

1) use the Trace tool to trace coincident boundaries, then end the trace to digitize the non-coincident boundaries

2) turn vertex snapping on (Editor - Snapping - Snapping Window, click on Edit Sketch and Edit Sketch Vertices). Then, as you are digitizing, hold the V key down which will highlight the vertices making it easier to click on the exact location so that the lines coincide

SteveSkotnicki
New Contributor

Bruce, doesn't this mean you need to, in effect, draw/trace the same edge twice?

0 Kudos