Count of point features existing within a certain distance from a line feature.

Jump to solution
10-11-2015 01:45 PM
RaghunandanBaireddy1
New Contributor III

I want to obtain the count of point features existing within a certain distance from a line feature. I only need the count, the output table I would like to see should look something like shown in the table below. I have tried using the generate near table tool, but the output in that case will have to be manually simplified to meet my requirements. Can anyone suggest me an easier way to generate an output in the format I tried to describe?

FID
Line_Feature_IDCount of Point Features within the search distance
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Janta suggested that earlier.  Perhaps it didn't yield the same results as was desired or was obtained from Rebecca's solution.  A comparison and interpretation would be useful​

0 Kudos
RaghunandanBaireddy1
New Contributor III

Dear Mr.Patterson,

I have used both the methods suggested in this thread to finish my task. They yielded slightly different end-results. Ms. Strauch's method did not include the information about the polylines which did not have any poins in proximity. Since my professor asked for a color coded map, Ms. Strauch's method will not fully serve my purpose.

However, I did not face this problem with Mr.Richard Fairhurst method, the result of that method included all polylines regardless of having points located within the search distance. This method worked best for me.

There are no other differences that I could observe.

Thank you,
Raghu.

RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Jayanta's original suggestion involved using the JOIN_ONE_TO_MANY option, which is not necessary.  He has since corrected it to be the JOIN_ONE_TO_ONE option, which is the best.  However, his suggestion to use the Summary step is not really necessary if the JOIN_ONE_TO_ONE option is used, since the features are already summarized with one record per line feature.  If I did not want a line feature class and just wanted a table with only the JoinCount and the TARGETID, I would just hide the Length field and export the table view to a table (dbf or gdb table).