Select to view content in your preferred language

How to get best fitting planar SpatialReference for an area/envelope?

Jump to solution
08-10-2023 12:08 AM
Labels (1)
SokoFromNZ
Occasional Contributor

Heya,

In relation to this post I was looking for a method in ArcGIS Runtime to get the best fitting SpatialReference for a given area/envelope.

With "best fitting" I mean the one with the highest accuary and least distortion.

I know about GetTransformation and GetTransformationsBySuitability to get the best transformation for a given envelope (areaOfInterest property) when going from one SpatialReference to another.

I am looking for a similar method to find the best planar SpatialReference for a given envelope/areaOfInterest given my original spatialReference is Wgs84 (angularUnit).

Am I missing here a method? If no... is it possible to program such a method by myself?

Thanks

Soko

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShellyGill1
Esri Contributor

Hi @SokoFromNZ - There is not currently any API in Runtime (/ Native Maps SDKs) which can list out supported spatial references / coordinate systems, by area of use or otherwise. We do document all of the supported systems in a series of PDFs (found in the Downloads area of your ArcGIS Developers account page), which includes area of use information. However, that would be highly laborious to translate into code yourself. I don't see anything similar already mentioned in the ArcGIS Maps SDKs Native Ideas place - perhaps you could post the suggestion there along with your use case and workflow information, and we could monitor interest in this potential enhancement.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@SokoFromNZ Projected Coordinate System (PCS) should be used for distance or area measurements as they are localized to minimize distortion in a particular region. 

ArcGIS Pro has quick search capabilities to find appropriate Coordinate System/Spatial Reference. For e.g. to find PCS for Spain:

• Open a tool or properties dialogue that displays coordinate system, like Project
  • Click on the globe icon to get to coordinate system options

AyanPalit_1-1691665242878.png

• Select Projected Coordinate System, and enter 'Spain' in the search. 
  • Expand on the Projected Coordinate System to view the suggestionsAyanPalit_0-1691665205913.png
  • Right-click on the coordinate system and click Details to get more info.

AyanPalit_2-1691665519038.png

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
SokoFromNZ
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ayan,

Any idea how I do this via the .NET Runtime? Are there any classes which implement this ArcGIS Pro feature?

thanks

Soko

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@SokoFromNZ Typically, I would make the Spatial Reference determination ahead of time and simply use a method with the appropriate projection WKID. I am not a developer, perhaps this provides some guidance. 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
SokoFromNZ
Occasional Contributor

OK...no worries.

The thing is my app just gets Wgs84 coordinates externally which could be from all over the world. So I cannot determine the suiting one ahead of time.

Soko

0 Kudos
ShellyGill1
Esri Contributor

Hi @SokoFromNZ - There is not currently any API in Runtime (/ Native Maps SDKs) which can list out supported spatial references / coordinate systems, by area of use or otherwise. We do document all of the supported systems in a series of PDFs (found in the Downloads area of your ArcGIS Developers account page), which includes area of use information. However, that would be highly laborious to translate into code yourself. I don't see anything similar already mentioned in the ArcGIS Maps SDKs Native Ideas place - perhaps you could post the suggestion there along with your use case and workflow information, and we could monitor interest in this potential enhancement.

0 Kudos