Stack Text in Maplex Key Numbering

02-12-2015 09:41 AM
AmandaAucoin
New Contributor

Hello,

I have some high density label areas in a map book that I'd like to use key numbering for, but I need to be able to stack the labels.  I have the stacking turned on as a fitting strategy and am using a delimiting character to force the line breaks where I need them in my label's format, but the labels in the key number run into a single line.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you provide a picture of the problem? Also, please provide the exact syntax of your delimited labels.

0 Kudos
AmandaAucoin
New Contributor

Hi Darren,

I've included a screen shot showing one of the areas I would like to use Key numbering for.  The exact syntax for the labels from the attribute table are something like this - exact values vary a little from polygon to polygon:

<SUP>7</SUP>Wu<SUP>3</SUP>Ov[Wu]~i-p~&gt;3m

Where my label stacking options are set to force split at the "~" characters.  I need to add those same splits into the labels for the key numbering.

Keynumbering_Screenshot.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AmandaAucoin
New Contributor

In further experimentation, I tried adapting the VB expression below, but all it did was remove the ~ from the key numbering labels.  They still all appear on a single line.

Function FindLabel( [Label] )

var = [Label]

result = "" 

splitStr = Split(var, chr(126))

for i = 0 to UBound(splitStr)

tmpStr = Trim(splitStr(i))

if len(tmpStr) > 0 then

if result = "" then

result = tmpStr

else

result = result & vbnewline & tmpstr  

end if

end if

splitStr(i) = tmpStr

next

FindLabel = result

End Function

0 Kudos
SamuelTroth2
Esri Contributor

Hi Amanda,

This isn't possible in the current software. The labeling properties are not applied to the text in the key number list as the key numbering is the property (fitting strategy) being applied. There may be scope for further enhancements to the key numbering in Maplex, depending on user demand.

Regards,

Sam