Address Locator Only Fails with Suggestions Enabled

Jump to solution
08-25-2015 08:04 AM
JeffMinichiello1
New Contributor II

I am currently trying to create a General Single Field Address Locator in ArcMap 10.3.1. I can create the locator fine without the suggestion option enabled, but with it’s on it gives me the Error 000042. I have already removed special characters, and any duplicate names. I also tried saving off our network, in case of permissions issues to no avail. The error occurs when it is running the “Building suggestions index (merging data)…”

Are there any ideas out there what might be causing this?

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jeff,

There was a patch that was just released that fixed an issue that seems similar to yours.

Try installing this patch and retest:

ArcGIS 10.3.1 for (Desktop, Engine, Server) Geocoding General Maintenance Patch | Samples and Utilit...

Hope this helps.

-George

--- George T.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jeff,

There was a patch that was just released that fixed an issue that seems similar to yours.

Try installing this patch and retest:

ArcGIS 10.3.1 for (Desktop, Engine, Server) Geocoding General Maintenance Patch | Samples and Utilit...

Hope this helps.

-George

--- George T.
JeffMinichiello1
New Contributor II

Hi George,

Thanks for the help. It worked.

Jeff

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

This patch worked like a charm.

0 Kudos
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

We are actually experiencing this in 10.4.1

we can export the data out of our sql (v2012) db into a gdb and create the locator from that as the source with suggestions enabled. If we try to create the locator directly from the sql db without the suggestions enabled, everything works fine and the locator is created. However, if we enable suggestions the creation of the locator fails.

dave

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Dave:

To clarify, in 10.4.1 are you creating the locator with sql db features as the reference data, but the locator is stored in a folder? Or are you using the data and storing the locator in sql db? If you are storing the locator in the sql geodatabase, it is recommended that you store the locator in a file folder.

Which locator style are you using to create the Locator?

-Shana

0 Kudos
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

Shana

1) yes we are storing the locator in a folder

2) for testing purposes we are just using the default Esri Single House locator

thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you using Geography or Geometry as the data type for the reference data that is used to build the locator?

Does the same behavior occur when building a locator with the Dual Range locator style or General - Gazetteer?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I am having issues with the initial build as well as the rebuild of address locators with suggestions enabled in 10.5.1 with Foreground processing (The process fails for suggestions but the address locator is built - Suggestions are very important in web apps though).  If I run through the same processes with Background processing the build and rebuild of the address locator works as expected.

Has anyone encountered this scenario before?

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael:

It's recommended that when building locators that reference large datasets to use 64-bit background geoprocessing, especially with suggestions enabled. When creating an address locator with reference data that contains millions of features, it is necessary to have at least 3 to 4 times the size of the data in free disk space on the drive containing your temp directory because files used to build the locator are written to this location before the locator is copied to the output location. If you do not have enough disk space, the tool will fail at some point during execution when it runs out of space. Also, keep in mind that when creating very large locators, you should have a machine with enough RAM to handle large memory-intensive processes.

0 Kudos