Frequently Asked Questions for Learn ArcGIS Student Program

11-25-2020 06:06 AM

Frequently Asked Questions for Learn ArcGIS Student Program

What is the status of the Learn ArcGIS Student Program?

This program has ended. 

University students needing long term access to ArcGIS should

1. Contact your instructor, advisor, geography department, library, or IT/help desk) to see if your university provides licenses
  2. If you need further assistance: 

Others looking for access to ArcGIS can visit ArcGIS Software Access Options.

What is included in this program? 

• (Noncommercial use) ArcGIS Online organizational account (equivalent to publisher role) including access to Essential Apps,  Field Apps, and  Office Apps
  • (Noncommercial use) ArcGIS Pro desktop software and ArcGIS Pro extensions (Note: This program does not include ArcMap.)
  • (Noncommercial use) ArcGIS Business Analyst (desktop), ArcGIS Business Analyst Web and Mobile Apps (web) and ArcGIS Insights software
  • Access to all Learn ArcGIS resources 
  • 500 ArcGIS Online service credits

What should I do if my invitation to join Learn ArcGIS has expired?

Send an email to learnarcgissupport@esri.com with your username in the subject line. Be patient for up to 24 hours. Check your email for a message from ArcGIS Notifications to reset your password. Once you update your password, you'll be able to access your Learn ArcGIS account.

How do I find my user name?

1. Go to ArcGIS.com and click Sign In.

2. On the ArcGIS login panel, click Forgot username.

3. Enter the email address you used to register.   You’ll receive a list of all accounts associated with that email. The one that ends with _LearnStudent is your user name.

How do I reset my password?

1. Go to ArcGIS.com and click Sign In.

2. On the ArcGIS login panel, click Forgot password. Input your LearnArcGIS username (ends in _LearnStudent). You will receive an email with a temporary password at the e-mail address with which you registered.

3. Go to ArcGIS.com and click Sign In.

4. On the ArcGIS login panel, sign in with your user name and the temporary password. You will then be asked to change your password.

Note: If you did not set a security questions the first time you signed in, you may experience a delay of up to 24 hours.

How do I know if my computer can run ArcGIS Pro desktop Windows software?

If you have a Windows computer, use this test to see if your computer meets the system requirements for ArcGIS Pro.

ArcGIS Pro is not supported on Linux or MacOS, but the software can run on a MacOS machine by dual booting using BootCamp or by running in a virtualization platform that supports the DirectX or OpenGL version required.

If you cannot run ArcGIS Pro desktop software, consider ArcGIS Online, which runs in a web browser. Try the Get Started with ArcGIS Online lesson.

How do I download ArcGIS Pro?

1. Click Sign in at https://www.arcgis.com/index.html.

2. Type in your Learn ArcGIS user name and password.

3. Click your user name in the upper right corner and choose My Settings.

4. On the Licenses tab, find ArcGIS Pro and click Download.

5. After you have installed ArcGIS Pro, sign in with your Learn ArcGIS user name and password.

I am having trouble signing in to or licensing ArcGIS Pro.

If you see one of the following messages, complete the steps below:

The username you entered is not a member of this organization.

Your account could not be used to authorize ArcGIS Pro because it is an ArcGIS Public Account.

Invalid username or password. ArcGIS Pro wants to access your ArcGIS Online account information.

The number of licenses assigned to the user exceeds the number available in my organization.

1. Click Configure your licensing options

2. Set License Type to Named User License.

3. Choose ArcGIS Online and set the URL to https://www.arcgis.com/.

4. If a window appears asking you to close ArcGIS Pro, click OK.

5. Start ArcGIS Pro.

6. Sign in with your Learn ArcGIS user name and password.

You may find further solutions in the ArcGIS Desktop Installation support group.

How do I get help? 

What are credits?

Credits are consumed by some actions in ArcGIS software products. Your account includes more than enough credits to complete a good number of the lessons on Learn ArcGIS and explore on your own. We are unable to provide additional credits, nor can you purchase more credits, to use with your student account.

Esri Access is disabled on my account. What does that mean?

1. You may see a message that says: "Your active ArcGIS organizational account xxx_LearnStudent is not enabled for esri.com websites" when you sign in to websites like www.esri.com/training. There is no problem. Your account is set up correctly. 

2. Esri Access is disabled means that your _LearnStudent account cannot be used to access websites that include esri.com in their URLs. You can, and we encourage you, to access those websites with a free ArcGIS Public account that will never expire. You may already have an ArcGIS Public account! 

3.  If you see "Your active ArcGIS organizational account xxx_LearnStudent is not enabled for esri.com websites." here's how to reach the site you seek:

What happens after the one year ends?

At the end of your membership term all content in _LearnStudent accounts (maps, apps, StoryMaps, etc.) is deleted and all licenses are revoked. 

This program is intended for learning and experimentation. Please do not create anything in your ArcGIS Online account that you will need to access after the membership expires. Continued access to _LearnStudent accounts cannot be provided by the administrator, nor by purchasing a license.

Should you want to keep content for future use, you  are responsible for moving any content to keep to another account before it's deleted.

To continue using ArcGIS for noncommercial purposes, you are encouraged to get a new account. You can: 

Comments

I recently made a story map on a Learn ArcGIS free account.  The link no longer works.  I get the "Hmm.. there seems to be an issue" message when I click on the project link, and my project no longer appears in my account.  I know that my content will be deleted after my year long trial is over, but I created the account only five months ago, so the content should not be deleted yet.  Any idea of what's going on, and how I can recover my story map? 

Thanks,

Suzie

Suzie's issue is resolved. Her short-term account had expired.

Adena

Version history
Last update:
‎11-14-2023 07:51 AM
Updated by:
Contributors