How to display other subclasses available in LGIM Parcel Fabric?

Jump to solution
03-03-2017 07:20 AM
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

I noticed that there are four subclasses to the LGIM model (ownership, separated right, other, PLSS second division) that are not displayed when the fabric is loaded to a new map document. Is there a way to display these by default? I'm trying to develop a custom solution for my organization and it would be a great help if I could figure out how manipulate how the subclasses are displayed in the table of contents.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

We recommend editing PLSS using the Public Land Survey Editing<http://solutions.arcgis.com/local-government/help/public-lands-editing/> template that separates those layers.

If you want to create additional parcel fabric layers follow this process:

1. Right click on a layer that is close to the layer of interest and save it out to a *.lyr file

2. Use Add Data to add the saved *.lyr file

3. Repurpose the layer by modifying the layer’s: name, definition query, editing templates, symbology, labels etc.

4. Place the layer above or below the parcel fabric group. You can create your own group layers as well.

You cannot insert the new layer in the parcel fabric group layer. Instead you can repurpose existing layer and\or follow the process listed above.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JeffWard1
Occasional Contributor

I am interested in this as well. For example - the PLSS Editing template has first divisions, second divisions, quarter sections, special surveys, townships. How can I add those to the Parcel Editing template? I've tried copying those layers in the PLSS Editing map, but that doesn't put them in the Parcel Fabric group, they are separate layers.

Thanks.

JCamerano-esristaffABarMaor-esristaffgisparcel

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

We recommend editing PLSS using the Public Land Survey Editing<http://solutions.arcgis.com/local-government/help/public-lands-editing/> template that separates those layers.

If you want to create additional parcel fabric layers follow this process:

1. Right click on a layer that is close to the layer of interest and save it out to a *.lyr file

2. Use Add Data to add the saved *.lyr file

3. Repurpose the layer by modifying the layer’s: name, definition query, editing templates, symbology, labels etc.

4. Place the layer above or below the parcel fabric group. You can create your own group layers as well.

You cannot insert the new layer in the parcel fabric group layer. Instead you can repurpose existing layer and\or follow the process listed above.

anna_garrett

I was originally looking at repurposing the PLSS layers because we do not use that system in my area. I figured out how to modify the layers as suggested in #3, and was hoping there might be some way to modify the layers in the parcel fabric group. Right now I'm testing out modifying a non-LGIM fabric to suit our needs, the LGIM is great but there ended up being a cumbersome amount of customization to the table vs just adding what I need to a non-LGIM fabric. 

Thank you for your response!

0 Kudos
nancyvonmeyer
New Contributor III

Anna - keep us posted on how you end up - I am interested in the non-PLSS parcel fabric - so did you have to add parcel types to accommodate a non-plss reference frame or did you need different parcel attributes in the GIS, or something else?  I am just curious about your solution.  also which of the fabric tools were most helpful - the adjustments, the control, etc.  

0 Kudos
anna_garrett
  • so did you have to add parcel types to accommodate a non-plss reference frame or did you need different parcel attributes in the GIS, or something else

More or less customized parcel types, which a good 3/4 of our data doesn't vary too terribly much from the basic meat of the LGIM (tax parcels, subdivisions, lots & ROW polygons). Where mine diverges from the stock LGIM is that we maintain taxing entity and voting district data that would be *super useful* to have all in the same place all the time. I fell in love with the traverse grid available in the parcel fabric, and having to go back to basic tools to edit the entity and district data was cumbersome. It also probably would be very difficult to teach someone new all the ins and outs. We use abstracts and metes and bounds (this blog post does a great job of explaining that, even though we're not oil and gas)

• also which of the fabric tools were most helpful - the adjustments, the control, etc.  

I wish I could say that we use the adjustment tools. Unfortunately my organization does not maintain control point data, and on the rare occasion I do get a plat or survey with that kind of data I will add them - but that is seldom and I may never have enough control points provided to perform any kind of adjustment. I love the parcel fabric for the traverse grid, as I've already mentioned, and the construction tools available. Before I came along, our organization was still editing with ArcInfo in coverages and I scoured the documentation for similar tools and found the parcel fabric suite, so even though we don't utilize all the tools available it's still a pretty good solution.

edit: I am keeping a log of everything I do and am planning on writing it up as a blog at some point, when I am finished.

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

We can envision using:

1. Different maps for different workflows. e.g. usually it is not the same person that manages PLSS, subdivisions, splits and merges, ownership and easements
  2. Each map can show the relevant parcel types.
  3. All maps point the same parcel fabric.
0 Kudos
nancyvonmeyer
New Contributor III

Jeff and Anna - Amir has full answer above. The small thing that I had often overlooked is the definition query, that is essential to define the layers in fabric mxd.  Having additional layers when you are editing plss and parcel data is super helpful.  The PLSS CadNSDI might be helpful in seeding your data sets with the full set of PLSS attributes (http://nationalcad.org/download/PLSS-CadNSDI-Data-Set-Availability.pdf) this is published as statewide data geodb but the statewide fabric may be shareable, depending on the state.