Select to view content in your preferred language

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 Bit - Map applications don't work

Jump to solution
08-21-2012 12:39 AM
Jan-Tschada
Esri Contributor
If I start a simple map application the Runtime tries to initialize the OpenGL routines by using JOGL. But JOGL fails with the following exception.

Info: XInitThreads() called for concurrent Thread support
javax.media.opengl.GLException: X11GLXDrawableFactory - Could not initialize
shared resources for :0.0

See JOGL Bugzilla (Same exception)
https://jogamp.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=576

A simple JOGL sample by using only the Runtime delivered JOGL libraries misbehaves the same way.
Is this a known issue?
Product Manager
Developers and Location Services
Germany and Switzerland
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jan-Tschada
Esri Contributor
No, I am not using a VM. But I was able to narrow this down. The behaviour is reproducible by using the same JOGL libs like the ArcGIS Runtime. The current release seems to use JOGL v2.0-rc5. If I download the necessary libs for linux 64 Bit (gluegen-rt, gluegen-all-natives, jogl-all, jogl-all-natives) from JOGAMP Deployment v2.0-rc5 from 19-Dec-2011 the sample JOGL application fails like mentioned above.

If I am using the current deployment v2.0-rc10 or the deployment v2.0-rc6 from 25-April-2012 it just works.
The real magic happens around christmas. 🙂

When using the sample JOGL application by referencing the "Patched ArcGIS Runtime libs" with the four JOGL v2.0-rc6 libs the sample works too.
But, trying to start a map application with this self patched ArcGIS Runtime libs results in the following OpenGL Error:
Shader language version 2.0 or greater is required. 😞

VERSION:2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
RENDERER:Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
VENDOR:Tungsten Graphics, Inc
SHADER LANGUAGE:1.20

Maybe, this is the reason for the strange exception mentioned above.

Is there any plan to upgrade to a newer version of JOGL?
Product Manager
Germany and Switzerland

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricBader
Regular Contributor II
Hi Jan:

You wouldn't happen to be using a VM, would you?
The 1.0 version has not been tested fully on VMs. It may or may not work.
The team is working on this problem for a future release.
0 Kudos
Jan-Tschada
Esri Contributor
No, I am not using a VM. But I was able to narrow this down. The behaviour is reproducible by using the same JOGL libs like the ArcGIS Runtime. The current release seems to use JOGL v2.0-rc5. If I download the necessary libs for linux 64 Bit (gluegen-rt, gluegen-all-natives, jogl-all, jogl-all-natives) from JOGAMP Deployment v2.0-rc5 from 19-Dec-2011 the sample JOGL application fails like mentioned above.

If I am using the current deployment v2.0-rc10 or the deployment v2.0-rc6 from 25-April-2012 it just works.
The real magic happens around christmas. 🙂

When using the sample JOGL application by referencing the "Patched ArcGIS Runtime libs" with the four JOGL v2.0-rc6 libs the sample works too.
But, trying to start a map application with this self patched ArcGIS Runtime libs results in the following OpenGL Error:
Shader language version 2.0 or greater is required. 😞

VERSION:2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
RENDERER:Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
VENDOR:Tungsten Graphics, Inc
SHADER LANGUAGE:1.20

Maybe, this is the reason for the strange exception mentioned above.

Is there any plan to upgrade to a newer version of JOGL?
Product Manager
Germany and Switzerland
0 Kudos