Select to view content in your preferred language

IGPSWatcher not returning $GPDBT sentences

Jump to solution
05-06-2014 07:05 PM
JasonAllen
New Contributor
Hi,

I have built myself an application which is utilizing IGPSWatcher - GPSEventListener - SerialPortGPSWatcher to enable logging of a depth sounders NMEA sentences. However the IGPSWatcher is not returning the $GPDBT (Depth below transducer) sentences. Does anyone know if these sentences can be received?

Jason
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
We looked into the NMEA sentence and I've found that this one is not currently supported.  This is something we can consider in a future release.

In terms of a workaround, I think the answer is to write some code which reads in the sentence and interprets it in your own code.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jason,

We will look at this for you and report back.

I'm interested in the application you are writing and what kind of device you are reading from.

Thanks

Mark
0 Kudos
JasonAllen
New Contributor
Hi Mark,

My app will be a simple NMEA logger. I plan to log all depths to NMEA text files for remote waterholes and then generate bathymetry (underwater surface model) data from the point data by also writing an NMEA to Feature Class parser in ArcObjects for ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.1.

The device is a Garmin 5 inch GPS/Sounder connected to a Panasonic ToughBook via serial connection.

Thanks for your response. Hope to hear from you again soon as my client is going into the field soon.

Jason Allen
0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
We looked into the NMEA sentence and I've found that this one is not currently supported.  This is something we can consider in a future release.

In terms of a workaround, I think the answer is to write some code which reads in the sentence and interprets it in your own code.

Mark
0 Kudos
JasonAllen
New Contributor

Mark

Hi Mark,

That would be fine if I could access the source code for "com.esri.core.internal.io.handler" ?? However I don't think this is possible?

How would I go about accessing all NMEA sentences myself in combination with ArcGIS for Java SDK? I could write my own stand alone NMEA parser but I really need the ArcGIS functionality for mapping. ??

Thanks Mark.
0 Kudos
JasonAllen
New Contributor
Hi Mark,

That would be fine if I could access the source code for "com.esri.core.internal.io.handler" ?? However I don't think this is possible?

How would I go about accessing all NMEA sentences myself in combination with ArcGIS for Java SDK? I could write my own stand alone NMEA parser but I really need the ArcGIS functionality for mapping. ??

Thanks Mark.

Hi Mark,

Is it possible to use the FileGPSWatcher with an inputstream from a text file? I can write my own serial port listener to write NMEA to a text file but can the FileGPSWatcher read from a file that is being written to?

Jason..
0 Kudos
VijayGandhi
Deactivated User
Hi Jason,

The FileGPSWatcher can read from a text file, however, like the SerialPortGPSWatcher, it works only with certain NMEA sentences. Both watchers will ignore the $GPDBT sentences.

If you have a way to parse the unsupported NMEA sentences to extract the feature with its attributes (example, a water well feature with attributes lat-lon, depth), then you could create a GraphicsLayer and add the feature to it. That way you would be able to use the mapping functionality of our API.

More information on adding features can be found at https://developers.arcgis.com/java/guide/add-graphics-and-text.htm

Thanks,
Vijay
0 Kudos