New User

Jump to solution
07-18-2018 06:07 AM
JeffChartrand
New Contributor III

Hello everyone, I am a new student user and I will gladly take any advice on how to make using ArcMaps any easier, at least till I get the hang of it.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Jeff for further explanation.

As far as the OS is concerned, Windows 7  Ultimate, Professional, and Enterprise (64 bit) [SP1] , is supported for ArcGIS Pro 2.2. Also check the H/W requirement and graphics adaptor requirement.

Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.2

Also linking for your reference ArcGIS Pro 2.2 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Think Location

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Don't think this is possible yet.

Here, it says "Layer files saved from ArcGIS Pro cannot be used in ArcMap."

As far as the tutorial is concerned, I think we guys need to stick to ArcMap Tutorial, if we are not using ArcGIS Pro.

For the learning purpose, maybe you could get an ArcGIS trial (21 days). You also get ArcGIS Pro Desktop software with it.Then you can try out the ArcGIS Pro tutorials as well.

Think Location
JeffChartrand
New Contributor III

Hi, our big issue is that ArcGIS Pro needs Windows 10 and we are using 7 and are not likely to change for two to three years.   We actually have a licence to cover both ArcGIS Desktop and Pro but it is our systems which stop us having even a trial version of ArcGIS Pro.  I would be happy if the new ArcPro tutorials just made the bare datasets available and not just as ppkx files.  I can recreate the tutorial from the ArcPro instructions.  A utility to export a project like the old E00 tool would be helpful.

Hopefully ESRI will find a good solution to export from ArcPro to ArcDesktop as I am sure that there are a large number of legacy users still around.  

Thanks for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Jeff for further explanation.

As far as the OS is concerned, Windows 7  Ultimate, Professional, and Enterprise (64 bit) [SP1] , is supported for ArcGIS Pro 2.2. Also check the H/W requirement and graphics adaptor requirement.

Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.2

Also linking for your reference ArcGIS Pro 2.2 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Think Location
JeffChartrand
New Contributor III

Thanks, my last check indicated that Window 7 was not supported.  I will explore and find out if we can get ArcPro to run on one of our Windows 7 machines.

0 Kudos
MarinaGeo
New Contributor II

Hello,

It seems that ArcGIS Pro projects can be opened in Arcmap through ArcGIS Online (link below). I'm registered for the cartography MOOC and all the data is provided through ArcGIS Pro projects. Can't esri provide the data this way? Why wouldn't be a formula available for Arcmap users so we can also do the exercises in Arcmap? I can't install ArcGIS Pro at the moment but I still want to do this course in Arcmap. Thanks 

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000023367#:~:text=By%20default%2C%20ArcMap%20cannot%20....

0 Kudos