Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0: webgisdr restore fails

Jump to solution
08-17-2022 10:08 PM
NicolasGIS
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

Since I upgraded from ArcGIS Enteprise 10.9.1 to 11.0, I can successfully create a webgisdr backup but cannot restore it. Whenever I try to restore, it fails for ArcGIS Server with the following error:

Failed to restore the ArcGIS Server:

{
"code": 500,
"messages": ["Import site failed with the following error. The store implementation is not connected to a config store. Please call the connect method before invoking any other method.", "Import operation failed and an attempt to rollback the site to its original state also failed. The site may be functional but it is recommended that you unregister all machines in the site and create a new site based off the configuration store that was backed up at 'C:\\Users\\foo\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\tmp-ags-site-14599189019367108479128716508001500\\config-store' and the server directories backed up at 'C:\\Users\\foo\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\tmp-ags-site-14599189019367108479128716508001500\\directories'."],
"status": "error"
}

Was able to reproduce on simple sandbox machine with a base ArcGIS Enteprise deployment on which that workflow used to work at 10.9.1.

Any idea ? Maybe @JonathanQuinn ?

All tests done on Windows Server 2019.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

Curious to hear your results as well but here's what I've found in my testing.

I was able to reproduce this issue with the latest build by first creating a site for ArcGIS Server, exporting the site, creating a hostname.properties file (with the same FQDN defined as the original machine name) and restarting the service, then attempting to import the exported site.

I've created an issue internally for tracking this behavior and I expect preventing the hostname.properties file from being created during an upgrade using PowerShell DSC should be a viable workaround for the time-being.

When using the standard PowerShell DSC release branch, the hostname.properties file exists prior to site creation, so doesn't cause the failure condition from what I can tell.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn
0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Frequent Contributor

So I commented out the configuration of the hostname.properties file in ArcGIS Upgrade section as well as you suggested:

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-powershell-dsc/blob/master/Modules/ArcGIS/DSCResources/ArcGIS_ServerU...

And it now works !

So the root cause is now understood: great 🙂

Many many thanks for your support to identify the root cause !

Do you think there could be a way to "fix" a corrupted ArcGIS Server site ? What would be your recommandation ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

If the config-store-connection.xml file exists in ../Server/framework/etc you can simply copy the config-store and directories from the temporary location back into place and restart the ArcGIS Server service. If that file is missing, you may need to grab one from a working deployment and update the contained path to match the site location for this machine.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn
0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your reply Christopher.

In the end, I ended up recreating the ArcGIS Enterprise deployment from scratch at 11.0 and importing the webgisdr backup. 

Many thanks for your precious support and good avices ! You had a good intuition from the beginning that hostname.properties file was involved !

Thanks